Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
I've got my K3 motor opened up to address the cam chain tensioner. The cam differs from the cam in my K2 parts motor. On the K3 cam the lobes are .113 larger on the long axis and .119 larger along the short axis. Also, the K2 cam has a fatter body.

Top cam is from the K2, beefier with smaller lobes, the bottom cam is from my K3....stock? er no?

Thanks Honda fans.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The one you call a K2 is an early stock cam.... since the difference in the short axis on the other cam is greater than the difference in the long axis (IF we are measuring the same way), it is actually a higher lift cam.... Remember, the lift is the difference from the base circle, not just the actual physical measurements.... I suspect the "beefier" cam is actually a K0 or K1, the 'hottest" stock cams..........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Isn't it the other way around?

I bought a NOS camshaft on ebay for my bike. Part number 14101-286-040. According to my partsbook this is the K0 and K1 cam. and it is a "thin" one.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The "thick or thin" is irrelevant... It is the amount of lift over the base circle that determines "hot or not"......Since his "thinner" cam has less difference in the height (lift) than the difference the base circle dimension, it is a "milder" cam.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts