Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't for the life of me wrap my head around what to do to remove the forks. I've seen member Saturday's Wrench video when he took his off but the CB 350 has those two nuts at the top that the CL 350 does not. I may just have a few pieces that are really stuck in there and don't won't to budge even though they should be, but I wanted to ask for help before I fudged up another nuts like I did to my oil drain valve :(

IMG_4273.JPG IMG_4274.JPG IMG_4278.JPG IMG_4279.JPG IMG_4280.JPG IMG_4564.JPG IMG_4580.JPG

And how do you folks suggest removing the center stand? Is it possible to not have to remove the spring, or if it is not, how do you get that spring off? Can I do it without buying the tool?

Also, is it possible to get that really stained rust off of the inside of the fender? It doesn't want to budge either.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
to remove your forks,
1: reinstall the two bolts on the lower triple tree clamps
2: remove the 19mm bolts from the top of the fork tube (above the tip triple tree)
3: loosen the two clamp bolts from the lower triple tree
4: they can now be slid down and out
5: if they are really rusted in and wont budge still, remove the top triple tree all together along with the headlight ears and tap the fork tube down (use a block of wood so you don't damage the tops of them with a hammer)

Reactions: EvLoutonian

·
Sensei
27,146 Posts
Use a 6-point socket or 6-point box wrench....

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Here's an easy way to remove the center stand spring, this method worked for me on my CB175.

- Extend the center stand.. this will stretch the spring
- Using pennies or dimes, wedge them in between the open layers of the spring.

NOTE: they do not have to fully go in, just enough to hold the layers open.. its going to be tight

- Retract the center stand, and see if its about ready to fall off.. if not.. add more pennies or dimes until it does...
- Once removed leave the pennies or dimes in the spring layers, and you can easily re-install it when ready.

If you need a picture of this let me know, I have one set up this way in my bags of dissembled parts.

Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an easy way to remove the center stand spring, this method worked for me on my CB175.

- Extend the center stand.. this will stretch the spring
- Using pennies or dimes, wedge them in between the open layers of the spring.

NOTE: they do not have to fully go in, just enough to hold the layers open.. its going to be tight

- Retract the center stand, and see if its about ready to fall off.. if not.. add more pennies or dimes until it does...
- Once removed leave the pennies or dimes in the spring layers, and you can easily re-install it when ready.

If you need a picture of this let me know, I have one set up this way in my bags of dissembled parts.

Cheers
I think I'm understanding it because thats what others were suggesting in other places, but I'd love to see a picture of it either way fi you have one!

And that is the only way to take off the center stand, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
This photo will show the pennies wedged in the spring trick... this will only remove the spring.

As far as removal of the center stand itself, best answered by folks in the know.. I am unfamiliar with your model.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
For the rust I would use a wire wheel on the end of a drill. Once the rust is removed I would treat it with some prep-n-etch to seal the exposed metal. If you want you can then use a self etching primer then paint the inside to help keep the rust away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts