Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making slow progress on my bike,one of my projects is to remove the starter clutch so I can replace the caps and springs to hopefully make it engage again. I was unable to get the bolt loose for a long time but I finally borrowed an electric impact driver from my dad and last night it came free.

Now I have my giant m16 bolt in the hole and I am trying to get the thing free. Was pulling as hard as I could and I think I felt it budge once but that was it.

IMG_5420.jpg

I even put my top yoke on there to give me something to pull on, and I didn't get anywhere. It is really so simple as just pulling really, really hard?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO it works the same way as the oil spinner? Kepp going in until it backs the thing out? I wondered if this was the solution but the bolt got so hard to turn that it was trying to turn the motor over. Will try again tonight. Thanks for your help!.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
While you've got the electric impact gun, use that to tighten the bolt. It'll pop straight off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got it off thanks to the impact driver. Had to go out and buy a 24mm socket for $5, unfortunately. But, after literally a month of trying to get this thing off, it is off. So thank you.

Here is what I found. One cap/spring operational, one jammed in, and one missing. Not sure how one went missing, but there is some damage to the rotor so maybe it has been sloppily removed in the past.
IMG_5431.jpg
Any ideas on getting the stuck cap to come out? So far I've tried poking it, as that seems to be all I can do.

Here's the damage to the rotor. Three of six of these flanges have been broken clean off. I'm wondering if this is a problem, and how this may have happened? I figured a previous owner may have cause it while trying to remove the rotor. You can see in the second pic that despite the damage the outer surface is still smooth.
IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5433.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so after a few days of waiting around for someone to figure this out for me I decided to start prodding the thing a little more, and I realized that there was a hole in the moddle of the cap (presumably for this exact reason?) I ended up using a paper clip to remove it. I also found the third cap and spring on the floor. Almost a whole week after It sprang out of the bike.
IMG_5494.jpg

mmmmm genuine honda parts
IMG_5495.jpg

and there it is! only took me a month
IMG_5496.jpg

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Ok, so after a few days of waiting around for someone to figure this out for me I decided to start prodding the thing a little more, and I realized that there was a hole in the moddle of the cap (presumably for this exact reason?) I ended up using a paper clip to remove it. I also found the third cap and spring on the floor. Almost a whole week after It sprang out of the bike.

mmmmm genuine honda parts

and there it is! only took me a month
View attachment 211329
Doesn't the cap face the roller, and the spring end in the hole??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts