Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a 73 cl 175 for 250$, doesn't run but got a title. Looking just to make it run properly for as little dollars as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated. Pics to follow soon. Only missing piece is the kick arm. New to mechanic work on bikes and I've never done anything too daring for my car so I look forward to learning the odds and ends. Pittsburgh area pa.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Welcome. Pretty decent price. I picked up the exact same bike in comparable condition without a title for 225. I parted that bike out so a lot of it is gone, but I still have the kick start if you're interested.

What's you're plan for derusting? I have tried Naval jelly and thought that it wasn't that effective and just made me nauseous. I have had the best experience with Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) and elbow grease, and in extreme cases a wire brush on a drill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found a 1970 no title for 50.00. Pretty straight,chrome not too bad. faded paint. Needs new floats,needles and seats. a few cables and it will run. The tank is pinhole and a worthy experiment for electrolysis. After a few weeks treatment,the tank is nearly perfectly clean on the inside. The kit they sell for cleaning and tank prep doubles the price of the tank liner and I will only have $1.50 and a few minutes a day spent on tank cleaning. I am using a fiber optic camera to see inside the tank and the results are unreal
The bike will run just by shooting a spot of gas in without carbs installed. I have sealed the floats with tank liner as a temporary measure just to see if the bike will run well as my goal for now is to see it run and ride for less than a Franklin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. Pretty decent price. I picked up the exact same bike in comparable condition without a title for 225. I parted that bike out so a lot of it is gone, but I still have the kick start if you're interested.

What's you're plan for derusting? I have tried Naval jelly and thought that it wasn't that effective and just made me nauseous. I have had the best experience with Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) and elbow grease, and in extreme cases a wire brush on a drill.
I plan on crushing most of the rust with the wire brush method. I bought a cheap kicker on eBay free shipping but I do need the throttle cable if you got it still. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I plan on crushing most of the rust with the wire brush method. I bought a cheap kicker on eBay free shipping but I do need the throttle cable if you got it still. Thanks.
If it were me I would do the oxalic acid method, it won't damage your chrome like a brush will and it turns out really nice, cost less that $5.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it were me I would do the oxalic acid method, it won't damage your chrome like a brush will and it turns out really nice, cost less that $5.
Thanks for the tip. Most of my chrome will clean up with 0000, but for some of the worse spots I will try the oxalic acid. The bike runs decently without burning oil, so i guess that it is time to buy new floats as well as float valves. Honda calls them float valves, the rest of us call them needles and seats.

Anyway,smiles, if you intend to remove those high pipes to work on stuff,be advised that they are bugger to remove. key to removal is that the lower pipe [left one] has a slip joint into the otherwise one piece muffler and pipe. The muffler clamp is there but I mistook it for a mounting bracket since the upper pipe is solid from header to tip. even with it loose,you may have to loosen the group and then remove the muffler studs from the left head. Use plenty of penetrating oil and let it sit for a while as patience pays off. Very nice that your bike still has the side covers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts