Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first bike that I got dirt cheep(200) now I'm gonna hopefully get it running. The good: everything but the right mirror and the kicker arm are there. The bad: rust everywhere, throttle cable is broke, needs front and rear tires and tubes, sat for 30 years or so, all the damn screws are soft from rust and oxidation, I can get it to shift but it either can't get to neutral( only shifts up one and back down) or something else is locking the back wheel up, minor rust in the gas tank, kick stand is wonky(missing a spring) and the main stand seems to be jammed up, and there's some holes in the back side of the muffler.
So I was thinking I'd start on fuel delivery and hopefully getting the motor to turn over without disassembling. Any pointers here guys? I haven't a clue what I'm doing really. Thanks. IMAG0195.jpg IMAG0194.jpg IMAG0194.jpg IMAG0194.jpg IMAG0193.jpg IMAG0189.jpg

·
Banned
426 Posts
With as much rust as there is I am surprised the paint is as intact as it is. I would almost expect more fading to the paint.
The LACK of fading and abundance of rust suggest it was found during the clean out on an old barn.

Most who run them little truck and trailer, "cleanout free for your scrap metals " BS odd jobs, only see rolling metal, not a rare bike,... Scrappers are the final doom of most rare old things, not even just motorcycles.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice find! I own the big twin version of yours. Came close to getting a little 175 like yours, just to 'match'...decided against coordinating my motorcycles like that. What is your first task you want to accomplish?? And are you thinking complete restore or fun little cafe?
P1000671 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
479 Posts
Congrats, at least it's complete, but you may need a lot of Metal Rescue :eek: I've also got a CL175 from the same era in Magna Red. Mine's titled as a '72 and is a K6 model. I really like the blue for that year as well!
2006_09_15_bikepics-679433-800.jpg

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
How much would they charge you for a 55 gal. drum of white distilled vinegar to soak all those parts in at the same time to remove all the rust quick ? :) taking it all apart will be a challenge and a 1/2 ! I like the challenge you have and it'll be a nice bike when you're finished.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
None of that rust looks terminal, first off though you might want to check with the police,mot,dmv, whoevers appropriate for your country to see if the bike has an owner, doing up a bike that's stolen is a good way to waste money and get a criminal record.
An old school hand impact driver is great for removing those stubborn screws
looks like the alt cover is toast based on the last pic, Gear shift punching a hole, and the oily grime on the sprocket cover

·
Registered
66 Posts
Even with the rust you can do something with that bike. It might be tough to restore to original. That would be a great bike to customize- use you creativity!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies gang. I'm just looking for cheap transportation for next summer so looks don't matter for me. I checked the vin all good PO is the father of the scrap yard owner like he said when I first asked. Took the seat and the tank off and it doesn't look to bad under those two. IMAG0216.jpg
Next up finish removal of the exhaust and the carbs. Does any one have a digital service manual or something you could send me for I haven't a clue how to reassemble those. Also wondering where to source parts for the carbs and throttle cable, which is broken(is there a way to reattach it, broke at the handlebar, or is it screwed?). Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Does the rear wheel turn? Looks like that chain is rust-welded into a solid part. It will shift easier if the rear wheel turned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will only turn a little what's a good way to get that all moving? I've put in hours now rocking it with the clutch in to no avail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts