Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! its been a while since Ive been here. My cl 160 had some motor problems last year in april and I brought it into a shop, its still there!!! The valves were pretty much wrecked so I bought another head, the guy who sold it to me says it was a 160 head. It bolts on and looks almost identical to my old head the only real difference being that its fins are very slightly different and the 161 stamp Isnt there. Its so similar in fact that my fairly experienced vintage honda twin mechanic didnt notice until after having the valve guides re done and reassembling the motor, oil started to pour into the exhaust. So im asking because I want to get my bike back before we hit a FULL year is there a good way to identify for sure that I have the right head?
(I personally think it is a 160 head and that his machinist messed up the valve guides or somethings up with the rings)
Thanks for any advice!

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
160 head:

175 "sloper" head:

BIG , OBVIOUS differences in the fins.........However, the CB93 (125cc) head is not that different from the 160.....Could you have one of these?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly the issue. Nailed it right in the head the 125 head is what were working with. I guess the question at this point is will it work or do i need to just start over with another head?

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
I would GUESS it WILL NOT work.....At least not easily (or cheaply).... But, it probably is possible......
Personally, I'd be looking for a 160 head

But, if you want to try, You would first NEED to compare the dome volumes, (but I believe you would end up with a way too high compression ratio) ....The 125 already had a higher CR than the 160 (9/1 vs 8.5/1, so it's extremely doubtful it would work unless you used flatter top pistons, and even then, the valve pockets in the pistons will likely be improperly spaced and would require some re-cutting....Then there's valve diameters to take into account as far as engine respiration)
Also, you would need to assure the 160 piston crowns won't physically touch the Squish area at the perimeter of the 125 domes (both bikes have a 41 mm stroke, so you MAY be OK there, but that 6 mm difference in bore still makes it iffy)
Even milling out the squish perimeter to allow piston clearance might not be enough to reduce the C/R to a reasonable limit......
Might be fun to try though.........

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for this info, you truly are an expert! Ill bring all this to the mechanic and see what he wants to do

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally have my bike back and Im selling the CB93 head if anyones interested.. completely rebuilt. Thanks again for all your help on this I was very stuck

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I have an extra 160 head if your interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts