Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 1976 CJ360t from a friend who rode the bike for a week or so, through a few states. No issues. I rode it around alleys to keep it running while I waited to take a course and get license, etc. Was fine. But recently it dies after about 15-20 mins of riding. I replaced the rectifier, put a new ground wire on battery. Today I replaced spark plugs and used the foam to re-work the air filter. It seemed fine but did it again. It's when I come to a stop, with clutch in. There is still power and blinkers work (which before when it started happening it seemed like power was gone). What next? Fuel lines? Just odd that it will run for a while just fine and THEN start stalling. Thanks for any input.

Brent

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Does it start and idle ok when you first start it up? Will it run normally again after you let it set a few minutes? Fuel cap vent may be plugged restricting fuel flow to the carbs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When you replaced the sparkplugs, how did the old look? Where they fouled? For a bit my right cylinder was running WAY too rich which would foul up the plug and cause misfiring. This would cause the bike to occasionally stall at a stop. I had to bench set the carbs, the right side was off, and made sure the carb was sealed well to the head. It made the bike run much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it starts and runs about 1,200 rpm. It started and idled for maybe a few minutes or so and then died. Then I started up again and rode it, and it lasted about 15 minutes. And started, even after it stalled. But i wasn't far from home and just rode back. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you replaced the sparkplugs, how did the old look? Where they fouled? For a bit my right cylinder was running WAY too rich which would foul up the plug and cause misfiring. This would cause the bike to occasionally stall at a stop. I had to bench set the carbs, the right side was off, and made sure the carb was sealed well to the head. It made the bike run much better.
Okay, Thanks! The old ones didn't look bad. But I wasn't sure how long they had been in there and just decided to replace, had already bought them. Okay I will take a look at that next. This is all new. Haven't worked on one before. I enjoy it but hopefully I can check out carb issues fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
How old is the battery? Have you checked voltages from your alternator, battery and rectifier?

If you smell the exhaust is it overly rich with a gas smell?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
My CB360 would run beatifully cold. After about 15 to 20 minutes, it would die. Went nuts for a long while. I posted this in my build thread. see here: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...ing-now-e-advance-ignition-17.html#post173120

Those rubber manifolds did not leak cold, but leaked hot. Replacing them fixed the issue. You may have a different issue, but if you are using 40+ year old rubber manifolds, new ones will add a lot of reliability. It may even fix your issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts