Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CJ 360 is a simpler machine to the CB/CL variety and must no doubt have different wiring and switches...but what exactly does one have that the other does not? I would like to modify a CJ loom to fit a CB and would appreciate some insight.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I havent had a proper comparison yet but I did put the CJ loom next to the CB loom just for visual aid. Obviously the front end of the CJ loom would need to be spilt into two branches for correct mounting on a CB, and a couple block connectors are slighty outta whack.

Heres a pic, my old CB360 loom is the one on top, the lower is a NOS CJ360 loom...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done some mapping out of the looms and a conversion seems do-able. A few minor connector changes and some wire re-routing is all it should need.

However I've learned that the CJ has no electric start or solenoid switch, so a Y/R wire will need to be added from the cluster under the tank to the relay. And the dual heavy guage red wires that are married by a ring fastener (which normally fix to battery positive terminal) will need to be fitted with a dual blade male block connector (to accomodate the solenoid).

Also it seems the CJ used a 2 prong flasher unit, whereas the CB uses 3, I'm guessing that I just need to run a Green earth wire to the unit where currently only the Grey and Black wires reside...or can the 2 prong type work on the CB?

·
Registered
608 Posts
leethal, just find a wiring diagram for both the cb and the cj would make mapping the difference easy, most of it will be the same they all have the headlamp, taillamp, brake lights/switches, ect. but the charging system would bear looking at VERY carefully

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've been referencing both diagrams, but the black'n'white CJ ones are very hard to read.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Lee.... My CB 360 uses a two connector flasher module...... The ground is provided through the bulbs (when activated) on the Hondas.... The flasher has a black "hot" running to it, and a grey "hot continuation" (after the flasher) to the switch....The circuit is completed when you operate the switch, which then sends "hot" to the non-grounded side of the pair of bulbs, through the filaments, and returns (to the battery) via the grounds.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
66Sprint said:
Lee.... My CB 360 uses a two connector flasher module
Interesting...what year is yours? Mine has 3 wires. If my flasher unit proves to be faulty one day when the bike is completed :roll: I'd likely use the more readily available 2 prong type (which I did to my XS650 with good results).

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jayel said:
most of it will be the same but the charging system would bear looking at VERY carefully

I've just checked part # for both alternators. Same rotor (#31101-369-004) and same stator (#31102-369-004). It makes sense that the swap will work since the only REAL difference between models is that the CB has one more bonus gear :cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
My CB360 also has two connectors for the flasher relay. Maybe you Aussies got a different breed 360?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I checked the parts fiche for both models and they're both 2 pin. They have also been superceded 4 times over the years. Heres a pic of the new variety still available from Honda, and a pic of the flasher unit that came with my bike. Two VERY different beers...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts