Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
CB750F 1980, CJ360T 1978 (aka CJe project)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thought I'd make an introduction, I've just picked up a CJ360T 1978 (without engine) for a few hundred quid which I hope will become the base for a CJe (electric) project.

30k ish miles on the bike, not been on the road since 1987, tired forks (looking for good replacements or maybe re-chrome) but otherwise only really surface rust (some call it patina..) and some faded paint. It's a UK model so there's disc brake up front (which needs some work).

Looking to put an 8-12kw hub motor at the back and a 72v 75ah battery where the engine used to be, to use as a commuter (as the CJ was intended) with a top speed of around 65-70mph and a range of around 40-50 miles (hoping for a little more, if I'm lucky!)

Here's a picture of the 'bike' as it stands at the moment - certainly needs some love!

And yes, as you can see, I do have an exhaust for it (which, from what I can tell is pretty original, if a little tatty) so if anyone is on the look out, get in touch!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, glad you think it's interesting/a good idea - there is often a lot of resistance to 'non-standard' projects, but when the engine has been separated from the bike for probably 35 years, it's spent longer like this than it ever did with an ICE installed, so why not do something different!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting project! You have to make your battery pack look like an engine, or not.
I reckon that's the most emotive subject when people talk about EV bikes (whether projects or otherwise). I love the look of an engine in a frame, hence being attached to older bikes and having almost no interest in plastic covered sports bikes, but how do you make a steel box full of battery cells look remotely interesting? I have seen good results with 3D printed add ons and I'm sure an amount could be done with a decent paint job, but it remains to be seen how successful I'll be!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 3D print is exactly what I was thinking. I have one but it is not working at the moment, something else for me to fix. I was looking at Cushman Scooter a while back and I found a guy who has stuffed a Harley V-Twin in one, it was pretty awesome looking. That motor actually filled out the Cushman frame quite nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts