Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am just wondering if the floats in my 2 carbs are the right ones. They came off of 360 carbs supposedly. I got them used. Mine are brass and round. I see other floats on YouTube and Ebay that look like they are black plastic and not round like mine. More of a round shape with a flat on the top. Do I just have older floats? or are they wrong for the 360 carbs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mine don't look anything like that. So will my carbs work? Why would there be brass floats in the carbs?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
There is no telling what a previous owner has done to your bike. I don't know if your floats will swing freely, maintain the appropriate fuel level or operate the float valve properly.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Might by why PO shoved the wrong ones in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What are the numbers stamped on the carb bodies?
For the CJ they should be stamped 759A.
My CJ has plastic floats.
If those brass floats really are from a 360 carb theoretically they should work if properly adjusted. The only difference in the 360 carbs is the jetting.
Did early 360's use brass floats? I don't know.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a very early CB360 (pre-production, made in 73'). It did have brass floats in the carbs, and I have no reason to think they were not original. However, they gave me quite a few headaches, and in the end I had to replace them with NOS ones, made of some sort of black plastic. The reason is that the brass ones were hollow, and they both had a crack (in both carbs). As they filled up with fuel, they of course stopped functioning. Because they filled up very slowly (must have been a very tiny crack, perhaps where they were soldered), the bike ran okay for a few minutes, and it took me quite a while to figure this out. I think that, because they were cracked in both carbs, and because it seems Honda started using plastic on later ones, that this might have been a common fault. However, I do know quite a few 70's carbs have brass floats that work okay (and these might too, perhaps it was just my bike...).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts