Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!
when i try to set up the timing sprocket correctly on the cam, it always sits a tad not parallel with the cylinder head ive tried going one more link in the direction but then its way out.
ive tried taking a few pictures. (pic 1+2)
does it have to sit perfectly parallel or is it correct as it is? P1010082.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ah **** forgot to say, while theres play in the chain before i tension it it will sit level, but when i put the tensioner in and tension it all again then it gets dragged down on the tensioner side

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Some stretch in the chain, the cam will be retarded a few degrees. It will have more top end power that way, at the expense of a little torque off the bottom end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey mike, thanks for the help, so you would either say new chain or just leave it as is then.
i guess ill go with the new chain option as its anyways all open right now, saves me opening it up again later!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
A new chain never hurts, you will have better idle quality and crisper throttle response off-idle.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Put it in the position that is closest to the top. When you cannot place it at the exact top, always put it after the top and not before. That's what I always learned. Some old Honda's (at least SS, CD, C) do not even have the gear on the crank keyed so the positioning is plus or minus half a tooth.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Its possible to get it right, you just have to remember that all the slack in the chain goes to the back of the engine not the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts