Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike out with some friends this last Sunday for a 200 mile jaunt along the Oregon coast. One of the more motley group of bike you'll see around. Didn't get too many pics, but it was a great ride and the longest trip I've taken on this beast so far. These mountain roads are a blast. No way I was gonna keep up with the Yamaha and the Ducati, but my friend's V-Star didn't stand a chance in the twisties...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
WOW! I am very impressed. I am one of those guys that shudders at taking the 360 out more than 20 miles at a time :oops:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bike seems to be in pretty good condition for its age and I figure these things are designed to run; not sit. I swear I've had more problems with vehicles I don't drive regularly than the ones I do.

I do have a light oil leak at the head gasket, but I have plans to rebuild the top end this winter anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's when I don't ride my bike that I worry about running issues! Keep it up!

BTW- what kind of 2 into 1 pipes do you have on your bike?

Larry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice! Good inspiration for me.

I had a discussion about this with my boss (harley guy) yesterday. Basically, I hypothesized that it will be easier to take a road trip on my CB360 after I get it running well that it was on my first bike, which was a Ducati 750 Monster. (bought 10 years ago when I was single, no kids, and actually had money to blow on toys) My argument was that sitting upright for mile after mile is easier than having my weight on my arms the whole time. Being a Harley guy, he conceded the point, reluctantly on the seating position argument. He doesn't think that a small motorcycle will pull my girth. (i'm not huge, but I do weigh 200 lbs) I agreed that it won't have a lot of power, but I've ridden small bikes before and know first hand that they are capable, if a little underpowered. Of course, when you have 1500cc's you think that anything less than 1200 is a scooter.

... can't wait to get mine on the road and try a stretch myself!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Whynojive said:
Nice! Good inspiration for me.

I had a discussion about this with my boss (harley guy) yesterday. Basically, I hypothesized that it will be easier to take a road trip on my CB360 after I get it running well that it was on my first bike, which was a Ducati 750 Monster. (bought 10 years ago when I was single, no kids, and actually had money to blow on toys) My argument was that sitting upright for mile after mile is easier than having my weight on my arms the whole time.
I think you might find the opposite to be true. Mile after mile on a bike that has an upright seating position with foot pegs that are slightly forward or directly under the knee and no front fairing is more tiring. The wind blast forces you to be in a constant "pull mode". In other words, you're always pulling on the bars slightly to offset the blast of the wind.

On a bike like a monster where the bars are slightly lower you're leaning into the wind and the blast on the torso is actually taking a bit of weight off the wrists. Now, with that said and sport orientated bike like my GSXR1K or my old Yamaha YZF1000 and Honda RC51 put so much weight on the wrists and the pegs were so high and far back that it became very uncomfortable after a tank of two of gas.

For the reason stated above, I like to get rid of the stock bars and go with a lower handlebar such as a "Superbike" bar (not Clubmans) on my bikes if originality is not an issue.

When I rode a 1500 mile/36 hour Iron Butt last year on my GL1000 I had the Vetter Fairing in place and it was very comfortable with the stock handlebars. Since I've removed the Vetter fairing, longer rides are more uncomfortable and I will be installing different handlebars on that bike very soon as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice ride, I hear all these horror stories of the dreaded 360's. But, mine runs very well when I ride it a few times a week. She really dosen't like the cold starts ever now and then. Over all I love the bike, and I hope to get some longer trips on her.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I'm not a huge harley fan myself :p However in the UK and Europe where fuel is probably the highest cost in the world, we make do with fewer cc's and still get a bike or car that works. Harleys have huge capacities and generate very little power (not to mention the handling, electrics, suspension and brakes, or lack of), probably why Triumph did so well when that was all they had to compete with.
Then came the Honda the 450 Bomber which firmly nailed the UK motorcycle production coffin lid tight. 200cc less than the Bonnie, faster, better fuel consumption, didnt leak oil (and 43 years on still doesn't).
Mind you I would still have a Vincent shaddow, Norton Atlas in slimline featherbed frame or Velo KTT, but I don't need a second mortgage now.

Have you seen the new Norton although they are real slow coming out of the factory (apparantly only 60 built so far), very nice, and Triumph are really knocking the Japs for their position here in the UK.
Dont get me wrong I love my Honda 450 K0 Bomber and 650Z (SOHC) but Im pleased about the resurgence of British Bikes (anyone got £115000 you can have a new Brough Superior built now to the original spec if you want)

Nigel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts