Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello fellows

It's time to customize my "Chubby Bastard". I call her like this in opposition of my other bike, a 1975 CB200, the "Skinny Bastard"... :p

I having a hard time with this bike to make it reliable. The CB400s and CB450s were very popular in Brazil back in the 80's and became a cheap "big bike" option in the 2000's. Most of them ended in the hands of people who doesn't have enough money to treat them properly so they were relegated to bad maintenance, weird electrical mods, poor quality replacing parts, outdated papers and so on... Mine wasn't different...

The wiring is a complete mess. The kill switch and the headlight switch were cutted off the system, the oil pressure light is always on (despite the engine oil pressure), taillight doesn't work, LOTS of "twisted wires" fixing and TONS of jerry-rigged stuff.

Wish me luck!

IMG_20150330_135605298.jpg IMG_20150401_221929973.jpg

·
Registered
681 Posts
If that's you on the bike, maybe you might consider something a bit smaller ?

Kidding.

Reactions: Tuxo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The paint still looks good on the bike :cool: ,How's the inside of the fuel tank ?
Hi, Bilbiker411. The tank is pretty good inside. Outside it has some scratches and dents, but it's OK for me. I'll sand it to bare metal and apply varnish over it. The dents will grant a "Mad Max" look to the bike. ;)

That's the look I'm expecting to achieve.

24_08_2014_CX_09.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CB400 Magazine Ads

Back in 1980, when Honda launch the CB400 in Brazil, these were the magazine ads. Good old vintage copy.

image002.jpg

It worth.
Used to the imported bikes, I hop on a CB400. Anxious.
The poise impress me. I press the start button.
The engine sounds beautifully. I ride.
In seconds, I fell in my hands the power of the machine. It’s the first turn.
It surrenders obediently to my desire.
I twist the throttle.
The emotion rises and goes wild.
No one can take me off the CB400.
It worth.

CB-400-1981.jpg

In the best dealers. In Paris, New York, Tokyo and Brazil.
In dollars, francs, yens or cruzeiros, the CB400 has always the same performance, the same advanced design and the same sophisticated technology. No matter the pilot’s language, it obbeys his body commands obediently.
That’s why the CB400 is creating a legion of passionate men of brown, blue, black and slant eyes.
When you try the CB400 you will feel such great emotion you won’t be able to express in words. No matter if you speak portuguese, french, english or japanese.

img67819-1375973062-v580x435.jpg

The Honda Machine.
The temptation exists. In two colors: metallic red and silver.
We’re talking about the launch of the year: Honda CB400. A machine that will turn you in a kind of worshiper.
Because every Brazilian that has freedom running in his veins will dream in have one, sooner or later.
Two parallel cylinders engine with a unique camshaft. Three valves per cylinder, two for intake, one for exhaust. Electric starter. Much more than a sophisticated engineering , the CB400 has a soul. A strong soul in a robust body. With a design that turn heads.
ComStar wheels, steel and duraluminium grasping the ground. More stability.
The CB400 offers the power that only the best super-sporting machines could deliver. With a sound that is music for the ears. And a performance capable of took compliments from the most exigent bikers.
Elegant, brave. Hydraulic operated disk brake in the front wheel. Minimum vibration thanks to the counterbalance system that spins in opposition to the crankshaft moves. Such a technology that will make the imported bikes feels outmoded. The technical innovations levels the CB400 to the most advanced projects in motorcycle industry. In Brazil or internationally. Check it on your Honda Dealer. The future has began.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To do list

Hi guys

Chubby is intended to be my commuter bike and as I don't have any other running at this time, its being already. And that fact make the build a little harder, once I have to do it "on-the-fly". In order to make it reliable as soon as possible (it isn't yet), I performed some urgent maintenance last week:

1. Brakes - Inspection in the rear (it was OK), hose, fluid and brake pads replaced in the front.
2. Transmission - Chain and sprockets replaced
3. Lights - Taillight and brake light system fixed, turn signs replaced for (ugly) LED
4. Cables - Throttle and speedo cables replaced, throttle pipe/tube replaced.

This small list made Chubby a little better, but there's lot more to do. This is how she's now.

2015_05_04_a.jpg

Next steps are:

1. Handlebar - The original is a little bent. I'll use a CBX250's for now. Clip-ons later.
2. Mirrors - Her mirrors are useless once they don't stay where I need. Barends will be.
3. Oil leak - She has an oil leak between cylinders and cylinder head. I have no clue on how to fix it... Need help.
4. Tachometer - Doesn't work. Replace it? Fix it? I don't know. I'll disassemble and post a few pics for help.
5. Whells - I found some bumps on the ComStar wheels. Is there a fix for it?
6. Tyres - Front tyre is gone. Rear tyre is kind of "square". Large chicken strips.
7. Kickstarter lever - Electric starter works well, but I would like go old style once in a while and the lever is missing.
8. Oil pressure sensor - Light is on, no matter what.
9. Electrical harness - Mine is a mess. Lots of poor connections, jumps and jerry-rigs. Fix it? Replace it?
10. Kill and headlight switches - It's empty! No wires inside but starter's.

2015_05_04_e.jpg
2015_05_04_d.jpg
2015_05_04_b.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
On the oil leak re-torque the head bolts one at a time following the pattern in the FSM. Clean it good and see if it clears up. Baby powder thrown on the suspect area will pinpoint pretty close where the leak is because it turns into a gooey mess there.
Oil pressure light? Could be the sensor or since you have electrical problem the wire may be grounded. The sensor only see ground when there is less than 3 psi oil pressure so once it's running the sensor doesn't make ground and the light stays off.
Kick starter? is it just missing the lever or did it not come equipped with one? If not equipped and you have a 6 speed transmission this is not really easy to accomplish. Besides the kicker parts and splitting the cases the six speed gears are larger diameter so you have to replace the gears with a 5 speed or re-cut the kicker gear
Wiring harness? probably easier to replace it depending on availability.
Replacement switch pods for the switches, any CM/CB 400/450 will work for you. Only difference might be the actual harness connectors, they were either oblong w/large flat spades or small almost square connectors

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the oil leak re-torque the head bolts one at a time following the pattern in the FSM. Clean it good and see if it clears up. Baby powder thrown on the suspect area will pinpoint pretty close where the leak is because it turns into a gooey mess there.
Oil pressure light? Could be the sensor or since you have electrical problem the wire may be grounded. The sensor only see ground when there is less than 3 psi oil pressure so once it's running the sensor doesn't make ground and the light stays off.
Kick starter? is it just missing the lever or did it not come equipped with one? If not equipped and you have a 6 speed transmission this is not really easy to accomplish. Besides the kicker parts and splitting the cases the six speed gears are larger diameter so you have to replace the gears with a 5 speed or re-cut the kicker gear
Wiring harness? probably easier to replace it depending on availability.
Replacement switch pods for the switches, any CM/CB 400/450 will work for you. Only difference might be the actual harness connectors, they were either oblong w/large flat spades or small almost square connectors
What a lecture, Jim! Thanks a lot!

1. Oil leak - I'll follow your tips. Let you know the results.
2. Oil pressure light - Better figure out after solve the electrical harness, right?
3. Kickstarter - The model is 6 gear originally equipped with kickstarter. Just the lever is missing (I hope the spring and stuff inside works).
4. Electrical harness - Easily available, despite quite pricy. But I guess it worths.
5. Kill and headlight switch - I'll buy a new switch pod to use only the inside. I like the old and used aspect of my shell. ;)

Thanks a lot, pal. You're a such an awesome helper in this forum!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Woke up early to give some love to Chubby. That's what I did:

1. Handlebar - The original is a little bent. I'll use a CBX250's for now. CHECK!
2. Mirrors - Her mirrors are useless once they don't stay where I need. Barends will be. CHECK!

2015_05_05_a.jpg
Old setup.

2015_05_05_b.jpg
I think I can save the kill switch. And let the headlight switch as it is, always on.

2015_05_05_c.jpg

2015_05_05_d.jpg
The new and much cleaner setup.

2015_05_05_e.jpg
2015_05_05_f.jpg
Old bar vs. New bar

2015_05_05_g.jpg
It's a little too wider. Make it harder to split lanes...

2015_05_05_h.jpg
Do you like it?

I'm not sure about the mirrors (too wide), but the riding is A LOT better than yesterday.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Looks good, Leandro. I used Virago mirrors for mine. They don't vibrate on me. I hated the blurred image I had with the original mirrors. And they don't stick out. I like the idea of having a six speed AND a kicker.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I see you have the linkage type of shifter similar to the 350's. I guess your footpegs are back a bit too.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
If that's because of the petcock try using the one from the 400 or just plug one of the lines but this could lead to not enough fuel for the carbs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts