Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So chrome rust is a classic issue on these bikes. I'm cleaning up my 71 CB450 for the spring riding weather (see pictures below)
Fine steel wool seems to work well in getting the majority of rust off of fenders and rims, but I'm not finding any good answers for how to protect these surfaces from future rust.

There are polishes, available, Fluid Film Rust & Corrosion spray at my auto parts store, and some people recommend oil.
I don't want to attract a lot of dust, but I also don't want my steel rust pockets to expand any more than they have. I was hoping to find a spray that I could apply and it would coat the fenders.

Does anybody have a preferred/successful methods on PREVENTING rust?

Thanks!
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi ethano,

I have
a 69 cb175, and although the chrome is in reasonably good condition I always seem to be polishing it.What is disappointing is that new items are already starting to rust.I bought new mirrors only 4 months ago and already they have some corrosion showing.I hope my two month old mufflers are better.Here in Australia we have had a hot summer and lots of humidity which probably has something to do with it.Anyway, with my mirrors I put a thin layer of Vaseline on them which is what my dad in the uk used to do in the 1950's and 60's when cars etc all had chrome fenders' and stuff.i don't what else will work but will keep looking.

Cheers, Grazman

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Clean the rust off with Coca-Cola and aluminum foil. Leave the Coke on there a while before you rinse it off and the phosphoric acid in it will leave a light phosphor coating on any bare spots that will help inhibit future rust.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If the chrome is pitted rust always return when moisture appears on the scene. A barrier of ACF50 can help. If removing heavy deposits of rust a brass brush is a good idea. Brass is softer than chrome and it won’t scratch away at the good stuff while you remove the rust.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Clean the rust off with Coca-Cola and aluminum foil. Leave the Coke on there a while before you rinse it off and the phosphoric acid in it will leave a light phosphor coating on any bare spots that will help inhibit future rust.
This worked wonders on my rusty exhaust. I followed up with a couple rounds of chrome polish and so far, so good.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Move to Arizona?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have used Quick-Glo with good results. Learned about it from a Jay Leno video & got it from eBay.

Have used Metal Rescue for the ugly underside of chrome fenders. It converts the rust but is pricey.
For big jobs get 5 gallon container of it from Amazon.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If anyone would like some background on why and how chrome and rust have such a close relationship, give this a read: https://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.shtml
For the condensed version scroll down to "Sacrificial" vs. "Barrier Layer".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts