Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove chrome plating on front fender and have it painted to match tank. Does anyone know a method that can be done DIY rather than chemical stripper or sandblasting?
also, and unrelated, i decide to go with a throttle cable kit from Revival cycles to replace my old cables. I think i can manage fine BUT one little detail that has me mildly concerned is birdcaging end of cables. Revival sells a nifty tool BUT at $140, don't think so. so any suggestions/tips etc, welcomed.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I've been told different cleaning products will strip chrome but I never had any success with that. Sanding works to roughen the surface enough that etching primer can stick too but you'd really want to use an electric sander for that.

If you seriously want all of the chrome off, I've read that some chrome shops will strip chrome for a price. I'd call around to see if anyone is even open these days.

You'd want to stay away from diy electrolytic chrome removal as this produces some very, very toxic waste.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Simply put you want to strip 2 layers of metal (copper and chromium) from a 3rd (steel). Mechanical or chemical removal are the choices and the chemical should be left to professionals.
BTW, chromium is toxic waste

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run a powder coating business, and coat over chrome all the time without any issues.

I never remove it, just media blast it softly (using 120 Steel Grit at about 50 psi) to get a frosted finish. Never had an adhesion failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts