Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time writing here :)

Have anybody had this kind of issue?

I just assembled new float set to my Honda CB450 -73 (and changed engine oil). Everything seemed to work just fine.

On the second trip (actually the very first hard acceleration) this happened: I filled up the gas tank and everything was normal when I started her up. About two minutes from filling up I drove to motorway with quite hard acceleration. Suddenly engine stopped without any warning. I don't mean it seized but went off like no fuel is burning inside, no sparkle or something like that. Speed was about 100 km/h. My wife had just said after last repair "soon it will be broke again" and when I called from the motorway she was like "I said so!".

After couple of minutes wire and head shaking I found the problem: The choke lever went on by itself! So the air flow to engine was stopped and it went off. I am 100% positive about this because I have just started without choke on (she doesn't start up with choke with warm engine).

Is this normal? Did my leg somehow moved the lever? I really don't remember any kind of weird leg movements during the acceleration.

- Osku

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It's not normal but It can happen.
If you did a recent rebuild on the carbs you may have disturbed the Catch on the choke.

I'm not sure about the carbs on the 450's but on the 350's there is a small spring like tab that catches in a notch on the Choke lever and holds it in position both ON & OFF.

I would look for sometihng like that on your carbs.
This is what it looks like on the 722a carbs the 350's use.

ChokeLeverSpring.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... I didn't even look at the lever afterwards because I was in hurry. I'll check it today.

Actually I didn't rebuild whole carburettor but I did assemble the choke lever plate that connects two carbs together... Maybe something went wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
It has happened before for me as well, which resulted in the bike suddenly running extremely rich and bogging down to a coast. I performed the same fix as Bill mentioned and the problem went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts