Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I was all ready to try to start my engine (sl350 k2) after finally getting everything back together. However, when organizing one of the tables I used for part of the assembly process I found two knock pins. I am positive that I didn't forget to put all the pins back in and believe that these two extra ones may have been in a bag from spare parts I had gone through during assembly. But... I really don't want to chance it that they aren't all in there. My question boils down to this - is it possible to check for all pin placement with the engine in the frame by removing the cylinder head cover, removing the cam sprocket from the cam, removing the cylinder head bolts, and slightly separating the cylinder head from the cylinder and also slightly separating the cylinder from the upper crankcase? I am thinking this would give me enough of a gap between the pieces to see the pins. Thanks in advance - dave

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Did you do a complete overhaul or just the top end? Are they larger diameter ones like you would use on cylinder/head studs, or smaller like might go on an outer cover like the clutch or alternator covers?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor was completely disassembled and they are the larger diameter ones. I was just wondering if the process I outlined would work to get me a peek where the pins should be without having to take the engine out of the frame. I had bags of extra parts out from time to time to look for specific items I needed and I am hoping these were just pins I set aside from one of those bags.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The motor was completely disassembled and they are the larger diameter ones. I was just wondering if the process I outlined would work to get me a peek where the pins should be without having to take the engine out of the frame. I had bags of extra parts out from time to time to look for specific items I needed and I am hoping these were just pins I set aside from one of those bags.
I get what you mean - but I'd hate to see you loosen the top end and disturb a good head and base gasket seal to discover you actually did put them in. It's a tough call and I suppose what you've described would work, but it might lead to a leak later that would cause you to end up removing the engine anyway to do it over. But I do know the nagging feeling you've described...

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
You can't get the cover or head off a 350 while engine is in frame.
Pretty sure you would have noticed if they were missing as they support the oil seal on cylinder stud

·
Registered
315 Posts
I now take photos of everything I take apart as well as what I am building so that I can go back and double-check. In NASCAR they sometimes miss a lug nut in the pits while changing four tires and refueling all in under 14 seconds. They have a graph or something that reads the torque used for each wheel lug -- the torque will appear as spikes in the recorded air pressure and they can read it to determine if the torque readings were the same for all nuts. If there is a discrepancy they know they missed one.

I realize this is not going to help you now, but it may come in handy for the future. It also provides a whole host of cool photos to review later when you are finished.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to play it safe I ended up pulling the motor and it's lucky I did, the two pins I found were indeed missing. Bryan, ref the photos I have two more sl's to do and I will definitely take assembly photos on those, would also be a good review process during the different assembly stages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.