Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
thrilhou said:
Has anyone here purchased/used one of these brake pistons?
http://www.charlies-place.com/parts.html
Do you need a brake piston?? If so, have i got a deal for you :D :D I had a set made and have one maybe two left that i am selling to the forum for....wait for it......$60 shipped to your door ;) If you're interested P.M me.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rod. I sent you a PM and I'll get in touch again about purchasing asap (hopefully at that time you'll still have some left...)

In retrospect I don't know why I posted the question the way I did, but the upshot is this:
I purchased a stainless piston from Charlie and it looked OK. No provision for fitting the end cap/disk from the old piston, just drilled hollow. According to Charlie, he just fits the hollow end towards the caliper and the solid end towards the pad. Seems like that would tend to heat up the brake fluid faster, that the air cavity in the stock piston might act as an insulator and/or help dissipate heat between braking... but maybe not, I don't know.
Anyway, the kicker came when I measured the piston with a micrometer. It came up 1.4993" well under Honda's specified service limit of 1.5002". My caliper bore was within spec, but cylinder/piston difference still exceeded the limit of .0043". You could hear a distinct rattle when the new piston was inserted in the cylinder compared to the stock piston.
Anyway, I called Charlie and he was cool about it, he said he had no problem with a return as long as it hadn't been put into service. So that's good.
I've purchased things from them before without problem, but if you decide to purchase one of his pistons, you may want to double check the tolerances.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I felt it fair to post this:

I sent back the piston to Charlie's place and they refunded the purchase price and shipping cost right away.
Zero hassle talking to them on the phone and zero hassle with the refund.
So... I would give them a thumbs up for customer service, if anyone is interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts