Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

It's been ages since I have posted on here, but I would love opinions on Charlies ignition please.

I have a CB77 in my garage that is pretty much perfect mechanically except for a miss fire under load.

I've owned the bike for about 8 years, but haven't ridden it for about 3 or 4 since this miss fire appeared after a little off. I don't think this miss is related, but the bike did sit for a little while waiting for a couple of parts.

I have checked the points and changed the spark plugs. When I was checking points I noticed some movement in points shaft. I have also had the carbs apart and they appeared clean.

I would really love to ride this bike again and was thinking of putting charlies ignition on it. With the exchange rate it will end up costing $1100 so I thought I would ask for opinions first.

Would you go for a Charlies ignition or would you start with some ordinary coils and leads?

Thanks very much for any opinions or thoughts you may have.
Scott

·
Sensei
27,023 Posts
I would attempt to "cure" the apparent movement in the points shaft first, regardless of what ignition system you choose to employ.....
Excessive and/or rapid cam journal wear is often attributable to fuel-thinned oil......(leaving petcock ON while sitting)......I'd start there......

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm with sprint..correct the problem FIRST. Don't throw money at a problem HOPING it will fix it. I'm comcidering a E.I. For my other 450.. it runs like a sewing machine..for now. Have a Pamco on my other, runs good.. got it torn down for some cosmetics..never REALY dialed in the timing proper or adjusted the valve train.
Has anyone heard new about the shockwave? Seems as that thread went silent ..

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
Has anyone heard new about the shockwave? Seems as that thread went silent ..
^^^I agree too - you need to determine if the problem is something other than ignition, then when the bike is running normally, install the "better" ignition.

As for that Shockwave situation... the thread went silent and so did the distributor about it. And here I thought they were looking for feedback - but maybe some of the members who installed it have been communicating with CMC outside of the site. If that's the case, we need to hear what the latest is. I find it interesting that the thread was started with a bit of exuberance on their part as if it was the next big thing and now, nothing... does make you wonder what is going on. If I were them, I'd consider keeping the conversation going and letting us know any updates on the product or improvements being made, as well as if their projected date of release for sale is still on track. After all, Brendan and his significant other ARE members here (Zephyr King and Zephyr Queen). Although at this point, I don't think it's going to influence me much...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
After glimpsing through the "description" and requirements for warranty ..looks like they learned from Peet's mistake... valid only if......
And YES.. no matter what E.I. I decide on (or not).. the first "upgrade" to this well running bike.. will be the R/R.. 50+ year old "electronics"..can be No Bueno as this years continue..

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
After glimpsing through the "description" and requirements for warranty ..looks like they learned from Peet's mistake... valid only if......
And YES.. no matter what E.I. I decide on (or not).. the first "upgrade" to this well running bike.. will be the R/R.. 50+ year old "electronics"..can be No Bueno as this years continue..
I'm surprised you haven't done it already, just as a matter of course... even though all is well, no point in waiting until it isn't to do such an inexpensive upgrade :-?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I have (2) bike running Charles Place EI's.
LOVE THEM.

I visited his shop in Glendale, CA once - he is a regular upstanding guy.

BUT... Fix the Play in the Shaft as an EI will do nothing to fix other problems.
It only eliminates the need for regular maintenance on Points/Condensor replacement, adjustments and timing.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
It only eliminates the need for regular maintenance on Points/Condensor replacement, adjustments and timing.
I'll second that.

I have a Charlies Place ignition on one of my 175s, three years trouble free so far, set the timing once, never have to touch it again.

But it is just a replacement for the mechanical contact breaker. As the rest of the original ignition system is retained, standard coil setup with mechanical advance mechanism, it doesn't make the bike go faster or make the spark fatter, like a modern CDI with built in advance curve, crank mounted timing pickup etc, might.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info, thanks.

I thought maybe the way it worked it wouldn't matter about the shaft moving about like it does with the points.

At least I know what I need to do and that is good news because the bike used to run fine under any conditions.

Thanks again for responding
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a look at spare parts picture and can't tell what bushing the points shaft may run through or a part number. Any help with this part would be great. (please and thanks)

I guess I need to take the cylinder head off so this may move the job back in the line of "little projects" but I will do it as the bike will be perfect once this miss fire is sorted

Have a good one
Scott

·
Sensei
27,023 Posts
Scott, Are you SURE you are not just observing the difference in height of various areas of the breaker lobe as it spins? This could be misconstrued as a "wobble" and you may just need to tune the ignition up (points, condensers and ADJUSTMENTS)......

IF NOT, the advance shaft runs inside the camshaft half... the flat tab on its inner end keys into the cam sprocket, which is also the advance unit and joint for the camshaft halves....
The camshaft runs in roller bearings which MAY be worn if thinned or inadequate oil was supplied to them... Plus, the camshaft sections are held together by a large splined nut which MAY have become loose , skewing the joint and causing the shaft wobble......OR, it could just be cumulative wear or corrosion

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
A misfire under load would seem to point to a lack of adequate spark energy. If the timing was jumping around, from advancer wear or whatever, the miss should occur with or without a load at a certain rpm. It might be interesting to try closing up the plug gap(or widening it) to see how that affects the spark quality.

Reactions: Number13

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try get some time this weekend to look at the bike.

The battery is a bit tired, but I bought one of those pit starter or race bike starters for just this sort of thing and I'm wanting to test it out.

I think from memory I ordered a condenser some time ago so maybe fit that too along with changing plug gaps to see what happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to try get some time this weekend to look at the bike.

The battery is a bit tired, but I bought one of those pit starter or race bike starters for just this sort of thing and I'm wanting to test it out.

I think from memory I ordered a condenser some time ago so maybe fit that too along with changing plug gaps to see what happens.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been curious on this too, both on the Shockwave and more so on the Charlie's Place. I thought my Pamco was cool **** at first. But... by the end of the season I viewed it as a liability rather than an upgrade. Everyone here has some strong opinions on the Pamco's. I have since flipped. I need to see some solid development and extensive testing to get me to ride my bike 200 miles out of the city with an EI hooked up. You can easily carry spare ignition parts. But, what do you do when an E-advance goes out, etc. Even the ignitions that got installed on my dad's muscle cars were giving him woes (same deal as the Pamco, not enough advance). Needless to say I'm a little gun shy about EI at this point. Especially since setting the points isn't a mystery.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The Shockwave (just like any EI unit out there) is just as much as liability IMO.

Scramblr found out the hard way this past Sunday when his Shockwave's sensor melted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts