Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been working on my dad's CL350 to get it ready so he can ride it without worrying too much. Doing little things like the timing. I opened the points cover and low and behold, there is a brand spanking new electronic ignition in there. Cool! Ok so I want to make sure it's installed correctly so I can do the timing, unfortunately I am not sure what's going on because I two wires, one yellow and one blue, which are hanging unused. The Dongle on the Charlie's Place ignition has a 2-into-1 bullet connector for the yellow and blue wires, so I am thinking I just plug in these guys there? But I don't want to make a mistake and short it out.

Here's a wiring diagram for the bike. Currently the yellow and blue coming from ignition coils are going into the Charlie's place dongle. The black (thought it was blue when I looked at the bike but I could be wrong) and yellow coming from the condenser are just hanging free as far as I can tell.

Floor plan Plan Technical drawing Line Diagram

·
Registered
233 Posts
A quick jump over to Charlie's Place Electronic Ignition Installation Instructions - Charlie's Place and click on 350 Twins has the installation instructions, others on here may have more detailed information... Also noted that an accurate and functional voltage regulator is a requirement so you don't let out the "magic smoke"...

A pdf write up is there in addition to the videos...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
based on the wiring diagram above, the wires from the condenser should plug into the the available port son the charlie's place dongle. However nowhere in the video or the written instructions do they mention these connections. The only instructions they give are: coils to ignition, ignition in between coils and battery. the wires that go from condenser to points are left out of both descriptions entirely. I don't want to plug it in blindly and get the magic smoke.. :confused:

sorry, here is a drawing of what I have going on. The red marks show the connections in question.

Text Diagram Line Drawing Parallel

·
Registered
233 Posts
Step 1 in the video and instructions have you remove points and condensers (capacitors). The electronic ignition does not use either, so your drawing appears to be exactly what you need. Perhaps someone else who has one of these ignition units can chime in here, I just ordered one today but have no other experience with Charlie's. The device is likely a Hall effect type, which uses a magnet to indicate to a solid state switch when to open and close, making this system an extremely reliable no maintenance points replacement. My BMW K75 uses this same type of ignition system and never requires any adjustments or maintenance. In other words, the condenser wires are not required, hope this helps...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! I did not realize that the electronic ignition negates the use of the condenser. I don't know much about them, as I just only found this one inside my dad's bike by surprise. Time to time it and then close the cover up then, I suppose.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If it is as good as the BMW ones, you will love it! No more playing with points and lubricant pads, no more condensers going bad, no more points bounce and pitting, I think that this is the answer for any points based vehicle. I am waiting with anticipation for my device, though since I'm in "The Great White North" I'll have to be patient...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Got it!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey guys, I've read the instructions and watched the install video as well, but I found it hard to see the spheggetti ball of wiring they were plugging things into. I don't have my Charlie's Place electronic ignition yet, but have I wired it correctly for a CL350 K5? (The control box in the middle is an m.unit.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts