Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
talk to member "longdistancerider" I think he's the resident go-to guy on the CM's

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I don't remember the bike models but there have been threads on members changing all lights to LED and that freed up enough power for heated gear.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Longdistancerider addressed the output issue some time back. He'll likely be along to add more particulars:

" First thing is to replace the Honda CDI unit with an Ignitech ignition module since the new stator doesn't have any of the electronics for the original CDI.
Use the search function to find all the related Ignitech posts
Then you replace the stator with a Honda GL1000, Goldwing, unit which when rewound gives you the 350W. Stock it's rated at 300W. It just clears the rotor using low height bolt head, stock bolt heads interfere with the rotor"

Another avenue would be to convert to LED lights freeing up more power for your handwarmers.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Heated handgrips use 1 to 3 amps at 12 volts depending upon the manufacture & model. By far easiest modification is to change to an LED headlight to free up the amperage needed for heated handgrips. The standard CM400 headlight draws 50 watts on high beam. That is about 4 amps of current. An LED headlight uses about 1.5 amps of current. You have 2.5 amperes left plus a little extra reserve available from the battery charging reserve from the alternator. It will perform fine business with the heated grips and maintain the original Honda battery charging reserve capacity. Plus, you get a brighter headlight as a side benefit.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
You should have enough wattage for heated grips as is. The system puts out 170W. The ignition has zero draw since it's a separate system. So add up the wattages of all you full time bulbs, headlight, taillight, run light, dash/indicator lights. Add up all the part time bulb wattages, brake turn, etc. and divide by 4. Add those together and subtract from 135W. That's 80% which leaves 20% for keeping the battery charged. Now you know what's left over for additional equipment.
I've got @350W of power for my CM400T. This isn't a cheap upgrade since you need a Honda GL1000 stator, it's larger and just barely fits, plus an Ignitech ignition module since the new stator doesn't have any CDI functions and a new Mosfet voltage regulator. Besides the additional wattage you also benefit from having a programmable ignition system so the timing is accurate and not subject to electrical component degradation.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I am using a heated vest that draws only 3.5 amps. The 400 charging system is not taxed at all. I am looking into heated gauntlets as well. (2.5 amps), total draw will be 72 watts for both vest and gauntlets. I'm sure it will also handle them with no problem. The advantage of the 400's system is that it uses almost nothing to run since the ignition is a separate system.

Reactions: LocuL

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I am using a heated vest that draws only 3.5 amps. The 400 charging system is not taxed at all. I am looking into heated gauntlets as well. (2.5 amps), total draw will be 72 watts for both vest and gauntlets. I'm sure it will also handle them with no problem. The advantage of the 400's system is that it uses almost nothing to run since the ignition is a separate system.
I am wondering which would be better, Heated gloves or heated grips?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm thinking the gloves, Mike. They keep the outer layer warm as it is exposed to the cold wind. Although, Jim has bush guards that stop a lot of wind. The grips would be nice too. It's my finger tips that suffer mostly.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
oh yeah! it is my fingertips as well.
Diabetics have poor circulation.
They go numb really fast.
A lot of gloves don't have heating along the fingers.
Ideally, I would like some battery heated gloves, but alas,
I have had no luck finding a reasonably priced pair with
good reviews. That is why I am thinking about grips.
keep me posted as to what you find.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Looks good but always leary ordering from the U.S
I have paid custom/duties a few times.
The ones for 49 will not heat the fingers, will need to spend 150 -250
according to their website if you want good ones

"In the Heated Glove world, you get what you pay for! If you want long-lasting, well made heated gloves, you will need to get pricier gloves. You won't need to break your budget but you will probably need to be in the $150-$250 range to get a better quality glove. The quality, design, and efficiency go up drastically as the price increases. That said, here are the best heated gloves and mittens that we offer in all price ranges."
so change that into Canadian dollars and add 30 bucks shipping, way over my budget, lol
Nice selection of battery gloves though!
Maybe one day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have used the oxford adventure heated grips on my gravel missile. With the microcontroller i think they are good value and will protect the little cm 400 from flat battery.
The windprotection is a good idea. It helps a lot.

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts