Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here goes. Recently got a 1973 CB450. Decided as with anything new to replace the battery. Then read about the common motor R/R and got that as well. Snipped out the original regulator tossed out the old rectifier and plugged the new one in and routed the black 12v from regulator harness to the new R/R. As I was changing out the headlight I also decided to do the charging mod of connecting the white and yellow in the headlight bucket. Connected from the bike harness not the headlight. Now couple days later and bike is having trouble starting up. Check battery voltage and its reading out 11v. Check voltage on the black wire from regulator harness and its only putting out 10.2v no matter RPM. Considering the battery and R/R are new I believed the stator had gone bad. I checked the ohm of the three stator wires and all are in the range of 1.7 to 2.0 ohms. I should be in the market for a new stator right? Or have I missed anything?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
You NEED to be certain that the White wire you connected to Yellow at the headlight shell harness end was the "White with Yellow tag" wire, NOT one of the plain White wires which are for the headlight low beam.....For further discussion, phone me at 540-525-5199..... Steve

Re-reading, I see your battery had 11 Volts DC.....
A Good resting battery will read 12.6 to 12.7 VDC, a freshly charged one should be in the low 13's......
Anything below 12.2 VDC is a dead battery....
Just because it is new does NOT mean it is good........

I trust those Ohm readings were from wire to wire, as any wire to ground connection is a sign it's bad.......

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Did you properly ground the unit? A dedicated ground wire from the rectifier, to the negative battery post is a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts