Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When charging my cb175 battery (12n9- 4b-1)I have always removed the battery from the bike, removed the 6 yellow caps, and used a 900ma trickle charger
.However , a friend tells it is ok to leave the battery connected on the bike also to leave the yellow caps on whilst charging.He says its ok as the battery has a vent tube at the front.
is he right?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
As long as you're not overcharging a battery, it's safe to leave the caps in. You can charge the standard batteries we use at 2 amps safely, but not for too long, higher for short bursts. If you forget and leave it overnight (don't ask, young and stupid), it's probably toast. But at the slow rate of 900ma you certainly don't need to pull the caps, and I've often left the battery in the bike. Again, if you do everything correctly and not overcharge, it helps

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Technically, your 9 ampere/hour battery would require 900mA for 10 hours to fully recharge...IF it's completely drained.....

IF your battery does have a vent, it's alright to leave the caps on,
BUT, you should have checked and replenished the electrolyte level (using ONLY distilled water) before charging, requiring cap removal possibly...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Make sure the vent line is connected to the battery and vented overboard. A small amount of acid can escape through the vent during the charging process. This can happen when riding too. You want the acid to drop on the ground, not on any part of the bike. A 900 MAh charger should be perfect for your battery. Like Sprint says 10 hours is the limit. Do not leave it connected for longer. A digital volt meter can give you a indication of the charge state. Fully charged, the battery should measure 12.7 volts. 12 volts is considered fully discharged and will require the full 10 hours to recharge. The voltage checks should be done after the battery has rested for a couple hours from being off the charger or riding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I know it sounds a bit lazy,but it's easier to leave it on the bike,and my charger automatically cuts out at full charge, so I'll give it a go.

Many thanks, Graham

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks everyone, I know it sounds a bit lazy,but it's easier to leave it on the bike,and my charger automatically cuts out at full charge, so I'll give it a go.

Many thanks, Graham
Not lazy at all, I charge my batteries installed in the bike. My 450 has a pigtail with a connector to plug a battery tender in. It gets plugged in anytime I think there might be a week or more before I ride it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts