Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a voltmeter hooked up directly to the battery and while the bike is off, or it has sat overnight the reading is 13.5.

With the bike powered on and running at 5K RPM, with the headlight on low (35wat bulb), the reading is 15.3.

They seem high?

Tried 2 different meters for the same reads.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'd say it's time to put that rec/reg in... 15.3 seems a bit high but for a non-lithium battery, you'd just have to add water more often (unless you have an AGM)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an AGM. I will work on that in the winter or spring and see how it differs.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
INSTALL it what are you waiting for?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Install it before you kill your battery.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK OK lol. I bought it but it seemed complicated and things were running fine so its been on the shelf. I will try this weekend if the weather is nice enough. I never looked at the charging system cause everything ran so great this season but in goes the new tech shortly. In fact the only reason I did, was my 2009 versys stator died while I was in the US. Quite the adventure getting back to Canada, so it got me thinking I want to install a voltmeter in each bike. Ill take some pics of the job in case anyone else planning to do it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Proof of concept - ignore the mess. Got a toggle on off and the meter fits nicely.
01.jpg 02.jpg
03.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
There is an EXCELLENT Thread on installing a Volt Meter into the the TACH Gauge as a built in unit.

Do a search of Volt Meter or maybe someon here has saved the link and can post it for you.

If I was going to do the Add a Volt Meter thing I would not do it any other way.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Read the Tach guide. Did he run the connection directly to the battery?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
If you are using the original regulator, Honda spec is 15 v, +/- 0.5 v. So up to 15.5 volts. I highly recommend sparck moto combo regulator rectifier. It is more consistent and regulates to a lower, safer voltage.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts