Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my tank with one that's similar to the 70's CB 450/500 style with flip-up gas cap (like in attached photo). My tank is teardrop shaped (cruiser-style) and has a locking gas cap cover which I find kinda ugly--mainly because of fit and huge gaps. does anyone know if tanks from those era bikes--or later--will fit a 1980 400 frame without major mods required?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The frame on the SOHC bikes is significantly wider requiring a wider tunnel than the older tanks. Some have made major mods to adapt tanks to other bikes but it is not a simple job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If image displays, this bike is also a 80 cm400t, with rims and tank from a 82 cm450e. Direct replacement, teardrop style also, but no flap. Might be an option Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The frame on the SOHC bikes is significantly wider requiring a wider tunnel than the older tanks. Some have made major mods to adapt tanks to other bikes but it is not a simple job.
J-T, thanks much for response AND sorry for my tardy reply... sometimes life gets in way of my hobby. Wondering if you can tell me if the tank on bike in this photo is original or an example of major modified. my guess is latter. Bike is identified as 1982 450

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WITwinFan, Thanks much for suggestion. may be an option

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The spoked wheels and drum braes would be proper for the 82 CM450E but the tank looks like the earlier DOHC bikes. Would have been extensive work but whatever it is it was very well done.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
It's a lot easier to adapt a tank with a tunnel that's too wide than it is to fit one that has a tunnel that's too narrow. Length is a factor, too, as are width and height, especially in the front. I adapted an old 450 tank to my 350 a number of years ago, but I had to make a couple minor frame and side cover mods to make it happen. It also blocked access to the battery, so the tank had to come off if I needed to remove the battery. And, a stock seat wouldn't fit because of the length, but that didn't matter to me since I was going to use a café seat.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
1 Posts
im on the same problem i have a cm400A 1981 but the fuel tank is not good im looking for change it without too much problem !!
what fuel tank i should looking for ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts