Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and new to bike building in general. I'm trying to replace the fork seals in my 1971 450 cafe project. Right now I'm at a lose as what to do next. So far I have removed the springs, drained the oil, removed the snap rings and removed the allen bolt at the bottom of the forks. I figured after removing these items that the inner fork tube would slide out and allow me access to the fork seals, not the case. What am I missing / doing wrong?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Welcome aboard whatsyername!!

It sounds like your front end is the older style to me? With the springs on the outside?

Someone will be along with some tips shortly..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
No, a '71 should have the inner-type springs.

There should be a circlip (snap ring) just above the seal.
Remove that and the tube should come out.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bill, Is that not one of the years you have to "slam" the forks into extension to drive out the seals?....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bill, Is that not one of the years you have to "slam" the forks into extension to drive out the seals?....

That's correct, Steve - you do have to yank on the tube pretty hard, they don't just slide out easily.
Sometimes I forget that things that are obvious to me might not be obvious to others......

Thanks......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the responses. I'll try yanking on the tubes and see what happens. I tried this before, but maybe I wasn't pulling hard enough. I won't damage any of the internals using this method? It sounds like there is metal on metal contact when the inner tube is fully extended. Just want to make sure. Thanks again guys.

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay! So I got the one fork tube apart just by giving it a hard pull. Popped right out. The other one is still giving me problems. The fork seal seams to be jammed. I'm going to trying running some hot water over it. Any other suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts