Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any special tools I need? Anyone have a decent guide to changing my fork oil and replacing the seal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If you have the tubes removed from the triple tree already then remove the drain bolt at the bottom, on the side of the lower tubes. Drain all oil that will come out and if needed apply pressure to the top tube, pushing down to purge the oil out a little more. It may spray so use a deep drain pan, etc..

I'd do the rest like this:

Remove bolt underneath the lower tubes where the axle actually clamps into the lower tube (leg). Remove the top bolt on the upper tubes. Watch for spring pressure although there should'nt be that much. There was'nt on mine anyway. Remove the guts and pay attention to how they came out. Clean all parts with a suitable spray cleaner, etc.. The old seal can be pried out from underneath it with a large flatblade screwdriver if you take special care to not gouge the aluminum of the lower tubes (legs). Use something to pry against such as a piece cut from a 20oz soda bottle so you don't mar up the lower tubes (legs). To install the new seal you'll need a piece of pipe the same size as the outside diameter of the seal. PVC pipe works well as you can cut a notch in the side of a short piece of PVC to squeeze it to the exact size you need. Then tap the pipe until the seal is the same depth as the one you removed. I like to lightly oil the seals and the upper tubes before installing through the new seals, then reinstall the upper tubes in the same orientation that you removed them, install both lower bolts, and fill with the correct amount of oil through the tops of the upper tubes. You have to get this amount pretty exact. Then wipe all excessive oil from the tubes from when you lubed them up to slip them through the new seals.

I think that's everything.. If anyone sees anything incorrect with this or has something to add then please do.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only thing I wouldn't do is use the screw drive to remove the old ones. How we do it in the shop where I work and this is how they teach you at Honda is since he explained how to dissasemble every thing once all that is done you just take a hand on the upper tube the other on the lower and just use it sorta like a slide hammer and they will seperate. Oh the other thing I noticed missed is that there will be a clip on top of the seals under the dust cap seal that you have to remove before trying to get the old seal out. Just my opinion use it if you want but that's how it's done in the shops.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bluecav...... That only works on forks that have internal pistons/rings that will strike the undersides of the seals..(the 350's and early 450's for instance).. The 360 fork tubes will slide right out once the (damping-rod) allen bolt is removed from the bottom of the fork slider... There is nothing that will "hit" the bottom of the seal....After you remove the retainer or circlip, You HAVE to pry it out somehow.........

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Yep, you caught my old forgetful ass there. :oops: I failed to mention the circlip.. Good call....

It helps to have a set of snap ring pliers.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry about giving the wrong info about the 360 forks I just assumed they were like the 350's. Thanks for the info though. Always good to gain more knowledge about the old bikes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello. I have loosened the Allen bolt but now the fork tube won't slide all the way out. It's a 75cb360. Are we sure there is nothing on the bottom of the tube catching the fork seal?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
NOT loosened.... The Allen bolt must be REMOVED......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dealing with the same project at the moment... ('74 CB360)

Got the upper tube out, got the circlip out, now the old seals won't budge a flippin millimeter! Tried a screwdriver and pliers and all those did is chew up the seal a little.

So who has the secret trick?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ended up just taking a lot more force than I was willing to try at first.

Also figured out a neat trick for putting in the new seals without that specific tool: set the old one on top of the new seal and tap it in with a hammer, going around it slowly to keep it even.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sitting a standstill on my rebuild as well. Old seal is just ripping and falling apart. Has moved a bit but the screw driver method has been the other style I've used. Fingers crossed to a good outcome and a none leaking fork after all this hard work.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You must full remove the #8 on the bottom of the fork to pull out the seal. Also don't lose the washers that go both of those or it will leak for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Heat the top of slider so it expands, seals 'fall out' much easier :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts