Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on craigslist and thought it would've been stupid NOT to buy it.:D
Screenshot_2018-12-04-15-26-27.jpg
I took a little road trip and brought home in the Astro van. Here are some pics from when I got it home.
IMG_20181206_123423.jpg IMG_20181206_123434.jpg IMG_20181206_123454.jpg IMG_20181206_123504.jpg

It has been parked for 28 years; no key, no title.
I gave it a new battery, cleaned the carbs, and changed the oil and filter, then hot-wired the ignition and...nothing. Armed with info from this forum, I determined it needed a new cdi.

Installed a new cdi and... photostudio_1548472302295.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
1980 cb400t Hawk

Here are some more pics IMG_20190127_172447.jpg IMG_20190127_171828.jpg

I was surprised to find an inner tube. Is this a tubeless rim?

View attachment 274008

Well it's running, I guess I'll wash it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll look for the stamp.
I don't know what a safety bead is but I don't think I got it.
IMG_20190127_172259.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here.

20160713_155922.jpg

This is the 'stamp' to look for on the rim.

Reactions: Chainman

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1980 cb400t

Yeah, tube type rims.

I have replaced the throttle cables and when I went to adjust a bit of free play, I noticed fuel dripping from the bottom of the carb. So I'm going to rebuild them. Does anyone have recommendations for sellers. I'm in southeast North Carolina.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Reactions: Chainman

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I missing something here?

photostudio_1549582926904.jpg

I removed the carbs (again :oops: the education continues) because the right side carb was leaking fuel. I think the bowl gasket wasn't seated correctly. I get the carb over to the bench and when tilted vertically, fuel came from a small brass nipple on the inner side of the right carb. I noticed a matching nipple on the opposing side. It's as if there should be a tube connecting the carbs there; the fuel joint pipe.
But if the fuel joint pipe is missing, how is the right carb leaking fuel?

With hat in hand, thanks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well now you know the bowl vent on the right side is clear! Slightly unrelated but if the bike ever ends up on it's side make sure you turn the gas off, it will leak fuel out of that vent until you do. Also when you get a carb rebuild kit get rid of all the old rubber but keep the old/original Honda brass/metal parts.

There's a lot of ways the carbs can leak fuel, especially if you turn them upside down (and that would be perfectly normal). The "fuel joint pipe" will be the larger of the two tubes crossing the carbs. The other one will be the accelerator pump tube.

Have you seen this thread yet?
https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/6...rebuilding-vbulletin-carbs-11.html#post349635

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey y'all,

New tires, old tubes, long story.

Also, clutch was stuck, now it's not. Luckily, all it needed was a moment of relief (removed the clutch lifter plate) and a spritz of brake cleaner.

And, I get to try my hand at shortening a motorcycle chain. Bought a new 530x110 but didn't notice the front sprocket is MADE IN THE USA. That's weird.

Grateful for this forum. Here's a couple o pics:
IMG_20190225_173146.jpg

IMG_20190225_173230.jpg

·
Registered
805 Posts
While you've got that cover off now is a good time to do your balancer chain adjustment (the two nuts + adjuster that are zoomed in on in the second pic), the procedure is in the factory service manual.

Shortening a chain isn't too hard if you've got the tool, I almost made the mistake of removing a half link too many when I did mine but thankfully thought about it before I did.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I cleaned the tank today and got it on the bike again. I had to, the temporary tank was from my lawn mower and my weeds were getting tall!

I've had a bit of lacquer thinner in the tank for a few weeks and the tank seemed to be finally sludge free. I washed it with sudsy water, soaked it with the works toilet cleaner twice for about thirty mins each soaking, (edit- then rinsed with a baking soda solution) then rinsed and dried with some alcohol. Finally a coating of mystery oil with a splash of gasoline.

I had damaged the petcock screen when I began working on the bike (one of my first mistakes) so I installed the tank with an inline fuel filter and some clear tubing. The tubing is a little too flexible and wants to flatten out where it bends. Just another item on the "circle back" list.

I know, all pretty standard stuff; new to me though. But the thing I wanted to share with y'all is after I put the tank and seat back on I fired it up and drove that Hawk around the house for about twenty minutes, down the driveway, around the lawn, and under the house. Over and over. I felt like a teenager again! Memories of the first time I ever rode a motorcycle came back to me and I realized that more than this Hawk was being restored.

Here's a pic, everybody likes pics. IMG_20190303_220356.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any tips on how to remove this froze-up brake piston? It's been soaking in PB Blaster for two days and won't budge. I have only used bare hands as I hesitate to chew it up with slip joint pliers.

IMG_20190305_140423.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
two options, hook it up to a master cylinder and push it out, or grab it with force and most likely ruin it. if its stuck, the piston is probably already pitted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pop! A combo of air pressure and heat did the trick. Even after being warned, that took me by surprise. Good thing I wasn't looking down the barrel.

IMG_20190305_163014.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts