Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I might be asking this in the wrong section of the forum, move me to the right one if I messed up)

Is a chain with o-rings a nice addition to your bike?
Seems like the oring one has a lower maintinance requirement (but you need more specific products) but also eats a little power and weight a little more.
On the other hand non oring ones have a shorter life but are easier to mantain (in the sense that you don't need specific products) weight less and don't reduce power.

Now I think it comes down to personal preference, but I'd like to know what's your opinion. This could apply to everey bike but i am most interested in the opinions of 400/450 owners, others are welcome too!
(also is there a way to make a survey? I've seen ones for loud pipes opinion and budget for your projects, maybe this topic might be interesting as well)

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI GRA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Don't waste your time and money with a standard non O-ring chain. The O-ring chains are so much better. And you will never notice the extra few ounces of weight.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I use an O-ring type chain on the road bike due to the varying riding conditions I encounter. The T1 is on a standard chain because it doesn't get ridden that much. The CL is also standard but that's due to clearance issues for the 350's neutral switch.
An O-ring type chain is superior to the others due to the rings sealing the lubricant for each roller/pin inside. The amount of drag/resistance in those vs. standard is really minimal and will have no real world effect on power. It's most noticeable when turning the wheel by hand on a cold chain.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
On the 350's there's the chance of the chain contacting the neutral switch ass'y. Most people recommend against it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Depends on clearances and how you use the bike. On my 350, I have a one tooth larger front sprocket and don't think there's room for an o-ring chain. Additionally, mine is just a fun weekend bike, not a commuter or every day rider, so a regular chain is fine for my purposes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMO, it's not worth the extra money to pay for an o ring chain for these bikes. They don't make enough HP to really need an o ring. If your bike was a daily commuter it might be different. But, fitment is usually an issue. I can buy a standard 530 chain for $30 vs $120 for an o ring. That's more than an insignificant difference.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That is a big difference, what's the deal. When and if my CB400 runs I would put on new
sprockets and an "O" ring chain. Where should I buy the chain??? Was that a new chain???

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts