Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is 71 CL350. I put the bike on its center stand yesterday and noticed the rear wheel wasn't turning smoothly in some spots, just dragging slightly, as if the brakes were engaged (I checked, they're not). I noticed the chain was now drum-tight, I had adjusted the slack to spec a few weeks earlier. So I readjusted the chain, and the wheel is turning normally again. I ride for a couple hours and when I come back the wheel is stiff again and the chain is tight.

I had rebuilt the front and rear wheels with new bearings and brake shoes a couple months ago. The rear wheel axle nut is torqued to spec. I noticed the PO had two washers under the swingarm self-locking nut, where there is normally only one that comes stock. I wonder if they did that for this reason. Readjusted the chain again but I want to figure this out before riding. My best guess is to tighten the rear wheel axle nut to the maximum torque value to prevent it moving and tightening the chain. I'm also considering replacing the chain as I imagine it's been stretched from this issue.

Is this typical for old twins? Any ideas for a solution?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This sounds like you have frozen or binding links in the chain, they'll kink up while rotating and cause the chain to feel tight. If the axle was moving it would try to go forward, loosening the chain, but the 2 axle adjusters should prevent that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
^^^^ Jim's probably right. Spin the back wheel while it's on the center stand. You may find tight and loose spots. That's from the chain having kinks, tight spots, in it. If you replace the chain, I'd highly recommend replacing the sprockets as well. If your sprockets are worn out, they will ruin a new chain pretty quickly.

Reactions: longdistancerider
1 - 3 of 3 Posts