Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the trick to getting that front bolt in - on the chain guard of a 1973 CB450?

It cant be this complicated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bueller? ...Bueller? OK, I'll bite - I have no idea what the situation is with the chain guard on that model (pics would help), but if you can get the bolt lined up straight in there and it won't thread in, odds are that you've got munged threads on the bolt or munged threads on the receiving nut. Clean em up with a thread chaser and off you go. Alternatively, if there's something in the way, it's usually wisest to remove whatever it is, do what you wanna do, and then put it back on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt is hidden directly behind the frame. Unlike CB550's where it is accessible. The bolt is very short, but I cannot get it in there for the life of me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A friend with small fingers, perhaps? (Seriously, I’m not a large person and it’s been very helpful in some situations). Alternatively, I wonder if you could remove the rear wheel, disconnect the rear springs, and pivot the swingarm to a place where it’s accessible. Sorry I can’t be more help. The bolt does thread in normally if you test thread it without the chain guard, right?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Put a wrap of masking tape around the head of the bolt and jam it into the end of your 10mm socket. Once it starts into the threads you can pull the tape off and tighten the bolt.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You have to build the bike around the chainguard-LOL. It is without a doubt a B***h to get in after. Patience & cursing.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You have to build the bike around the chainguard-LOL. It is without a doubt a B***h to get in after. Patience & cursing.
Yes, it is... I did it with fingers in from both sides, carefully, after about 10 tries. Might explain why so many leave the chain guard off...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Haha- I remember this bolt- I don’t even need to see the pictures. I had to leave it until later when taking my tire off to get to it. I had imagined that until I did that, it would taken about a half hour and some luck before I would have been able to get to it! Thinking of sheering off a wee bit of the bolt before I put it back in place...for next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it's the one hiding behind the frame this is how I did it, cut a vertical 6mm clearance slot at the bottom of the chain guard to the bolt hole, then screw the 6mm bolt into the frame by a couple of threads, now the chain guard will slot into place under the bolt head, you can now nip it up and replace the other two 6mm bolts as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts