Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely need to replace sprockets and chain and wanted to get some opinions as to what others are using . Can not gets sprockets here (Aus) but can get a 530 /114 link chain off ebay for $55. It seems like the rear is pretty standard 35 tooth but have more options for the front.14,15 ,16or 17 tooth(teeth?)
))

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The extra width of a o-ring chain often damages the clutch lifter arm. I recommend doing a search and ordering a 520 conversion. It'll be plenty strong enough.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You probably know this: using different tooth count sprockets changes the final drive ratio. The standard for the US (and many other areas) was 15T front, 35T rear, for a ratio of 2.33333. Using the 14T would make your engine spin a bit faster at a given speed and give a bit more pulling torque, while the opposite for higher counts. The difference isn't a lot, so don't expect miracles. Stay away from sealed chain, as mentioned, unless you plan to convert to thinner chain. With a cleaning, and proper lubrication, the chain and sprockets should last many a year, unless you ride in a lot of dusty/sandy areas.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^and I can tell you from recent experience, having changed to a 14 tooth on my 450 in prep for the drag strip, that it will turn close to 1000 rpm more at 60 mph (originally just over 6000 with 15 tooth, now almost 7000 with the 14). Better acceleration, yes, but your fuel mileage will suffer and your safe cruising speed will come down a notch

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Hi Kanga, I have experimented with sprocket sizes and have always found that I returned to the standard 15/35, perhaps that is because it is what I was used to?
I had a look around the sprocket and chain suppliers and manufacturers in Oz and you can get the right sizes but they will cost you as they are not a standard size and will be made up for you.
I have not talked to anyone but looking at their sites they seem to think they can make what they don't have or can get in.
Thinking back to the 60's and 70's we were always having sprockets rebanded rather than buying new ones.
530, (non O ring) chain is easy to get any motorcycle shop will get one for you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There was/is also a 13 tooth factory option for the front sprocket. This will allow you to run at stock redline right at the traps while running in the quarter mile. This is the most important mod for taking a mid 15 second bike and turning it into a low to mid 14 second machine. It also works well on the street-- I know this because I ran the bike on both for more than a year--right up until it was stolen. Best run 14.28, 10 under the stock record (Miami Hollywood Speedway).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks . I ordered the 16T and 35T from common motor collective and the 530 non 0 ring locally through ebay. I have got them on . I got the gold chain .don't know why but it kinda matches the gold on the side cover emblem . Don't take the bike out in traffic much just like cruising around the country side ,so am happy with the bigger front sprocket. Thanks 450 roo I have now done just over 2000 miles since you helped me get the bike back on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts