Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I was wondering if someone could instruct me on the right way to remove and clean the CB350s Centrifugal Oil Filter. I can see the manuals instructions but I was wondering if that is the best way. I know some people talk about pulling the filter using a bolt in the inner threaded stud. Also, I assume I need to drain the oil and was wondering if the case gasket must be replaced when I pull off the cover.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Have you searched here? All of the information is here already...

There isn't a gasket under that cover. Just an o-ring. Be sure to orient the cover correctly. Look at the oiling holes in it before installation. The cap can be removed with a bolt as sugested. Then you'll have to knock the lock washers "tabs" down flat with a punch and hammer, and finally remove the special nut with the special sockets needed. It's available from Motionpro.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your Bird76, I was wondering if the cover your talking about is the circular oil filter cover, I know that I need to align the 2 oil holes in that, but I was under the impression that the manual indicated that you need to take off the whole clutchcover (oval shaped one) to get out the oil filter. I did search around before posting but I have read some conflicting instructions on different websites. Thanks for all your help.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You CAN remove the filter through the round cover for cleaning....It's a pain to reinstall though.... You are better off draining the oil, taking off the large right side cover, cleaning the filter, checking the pump, pump pick-up screen, etc, etc.... You will need a new gasket....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know it says above that all the information is on here, but does anyone have pictures of the process? I found this thread through searching, but maybe I'm just not using the right keywords in my search or something?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
you can make this "special tool" very quickly with by cutting slots out of a large socket to make driving tangs to engage the oil filter lock nut. takes 5 min with a hacksaw, less with a angle grinder.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am having hard time with this as well. I have read through all the threads and teh manual, but for some reason it snot sinking into my thick skull. A picture would be nice.
I have read throught the manual, and I am concerned because whats in teh picture in the manual is not what I see when I remove the oil cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK, I went a step further. I removed the clutch case cover, and cleaned the screen at the bottom. I fabbed a special socket to fit 4 pronged nut. But I cant get it off. The engine turns when I try to loosen the bolt.
Stupid question but is the oil filter some where behind this special nut?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
FastCletus552 said:
OK, I went a step further. I removed the clutch case cover, and cleaned the screen at the bottom. I fabbed a special socket to fit 4 pronged nut. But I cant get it off. The engine turns when I try to loosen the bolt.
Stupid question but is the oil filter some where behind this special nut?
The special nut is inside the actual oil "filter".....that drum shaped affair is the filter, believe it or not.
There is a spider-washer thingy behind that nut - it has little tabs that are bent up into the slots of the special nut to hold them in place. you have to bend the tabs down before you can get the nut to turn.
You can jam a penny into the mating teeth of the gear behind the oil "filter" and the much larger diameter gear of the clutch outer - that will keep the engine from turning.....

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I found the Clymer manual clearer than the shop manual when it came to cleaning the oil filter. Also noted that Clymer said to leave the filter in and clean it as Bill has mentioned while the shop manual said to remove it.

Interestingly, the inside of my oil filter cover has four tines in a cross pattern while the channels on the inside of the filter are not the same. I just lined it up so that one of the tines fit into a channel. The circlip fit back into its channel so I'm hoping this is correct.

·
Registered
548 Posts
hey, i need to make one of those special nut tools like you did to get the filter of and was wondering what size socket you cut up to make the tool? thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought the special tool, IE socket. I got mine form Bike bandit and its made by Motion Pro. Grabbed a glass of vino and headed to my garage. (that's how we do it in Napa), and low and behold it doesn't fit. Too Small. DAMMIT. hate when this happens. I think I am going to return it and just try and borrow a mechanics one.
I cant believe I am going through so much headache just to change the oil filter. Everything else on this bike has been a breeze

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
FastCletus552 said:
I am having hard time with this as well. I have read through all the threads and teh manual, but for some reason it snot sinking into my thick skull. A picture would be nice.
I have read throught the manual, and I am concerned because whats in teh picture in the manual is not what I see when I remove the oil cover.

Jimmy, if the picture attached to the above post displays accurately what you found upon removing the outer cover (the "three screws hold it on" cover) you are missing a VITAL part and are NOT getting proper oiling to the engine......There is a 4-vaned "impeller" that fits inside the "filter barrel" and seals/connects it to the passages from the pump....This "impeller" is the part that you would remove with the 6mm bolt once you take the circlip off....
.....Phone 540-525-5199 anytime if you need further explaination... Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts