Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new set of points on a plate & tried to install it today.
Once I removed the old points plate I could see the advance unit is pretty nasty looking.
I decided to remove it for cleaning so I removed the retaining bolt.
Tried to pull the advance off & all I managed to do was pull what I think is the "point cam" out of the center !
When I inspected it as far as I can tell it is just round !
Shouldn't it be oval shaped to break the points ?

How do I put it back in the advance unit properly so the points open & close ?

I have searched the forum & didn't find much that is helpful .
Both the Clymer & Honda service manuals are pretty much useless as far as the centrifical advace assemble go.

[As far as the Honda manual goes it is the most poorly written , disorganized, I've ever seen]

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The points cam is not perfectly round, although it's not an obvious egg-shaped oval either. it has a slight "flat" side and a slight bump that breaks the points....While it's not 100% necessary to remove the "bottom" piece with it's flyweights, reassembly is easier if you do.......A soak with penetrating oil will help....
Once the base is out, spread the flyweights fully "open" and the center will slide back on......It can be installed 180 "out', so be sure to align the guide marks on the center and the base (small line and/or punch mark)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got back from the shop.
I think I got the advance put back together properly but I haven't reinstalled it yet.
I found the little "C" clips wouldn't stay on so I am going to find some locally to replace them.
You would think Honda parts would last more the 38 years.
I'm getting real close to finding out if a 38 year old motorcycle with 2,817 miles will run. :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
" Damn that is some high mileage you lucky so and so lol "

Even though the bike is super low milage it looks like a real beater/road veteran.
The guy that owned it painted it FLAT BLACK with spray cans ! :eek:
It won't go back stock but I will put a real paint job on it !

The 73 CL450 is my high milage bike.
It has a little over 3,000 on it. :lol:

It has sat since 74 !

I just wish it had the original exhaust instead of the 2 in to 1 header.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts