Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
sure this has been asked but here goes.
can somebody please supply the cdi wiring codes.
i know the 3 to the coil and shut off , its the other six.

am i correct that the blue and white are pulse signals - white static, blue advance?

if so what are the 4 wires in the main plug, i know one will be power in, what are the other 3?
thanks
j

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Green is ground
Light Blue and Brown are the base timing pickup
Pink goes to what appears to be another pickup, advance?
Blue and White go to the charging coils[attachment=0:18ywh7ma]201_4119.JPG[/attachment:18ywh7ma]

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thanks for reply - I have that schematic - its about the worse one ive seen for wiring cdi's!

reason for asking, im trying a different honda cdi (more modern)on the bike, most seem to have four wires from 2 pulse systems - ( a common to both in, and a seperate return - 4 wires), a ground, a power in (ac) and a cut off and then a pair of wires to the coil - 9 pins.

I have a proper schematic for the cdi I have (10 pin but one drives electronic tach - not req) with colours and where everything goes - but I just cannot get my head round the 450 wiring diagram above to make it match!
anybody got it with the actual cdi properly drawn
on it and lovely straight lines, showing what goes where or is it me?
lol!
j

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
:lol: I don't think one exists since it was built as a sealed unit. CDI Magician I'm sure has made one but since he's reproducung them he might not share.
I chose to go with an Ignitech control unit since it gives me programable advance, plus the E tach feed and if I want a shift light

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I thought about ignitech as its perfect, however I can only fit a 8ah battery in mine (its now under the tank), which only just powers the lights, I can imagine it going on and off every time a flasher is used!

don't want a 400t box really or a copy - old hat - the one I have is from a cbr900 and seems to have all the right bits, a perfect schematic etc, twin pulse pick up and waste spark cycle

presuming ........ Honda used the same power through it (that's the big if....), it should work, give a modern output, raise the rev limit (told Honda do this via resister in cdi, not sure if true) and cost me nothing but a bit of time to try.

I suppose I could try getting a tester in there whilst its running but not sure if that would tell me anything?

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Yeah, the ignitech does require a minimum of 8V to function, don't know the amp draw.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jim, this is from a cx 500 which runs almost same box can you figure colours of 400t box by comparison

HOW IT WORKS
As the engine turns a magnet moves by a coil. This coil develops a pulse of 150 volts. this pulse enters the CDI via a 2 pin connector with a blue and white wire It then charges the two 2.2uF capacitors.

The first pulse to occur is the orange red wire. This is a negative pulse and prevents the SCR from turning on. Its function is to limit the extent that the advance pulse can fire. This avoids damage to the engine.

The next pulse is the orange/white wire. At low speed the pulse on the orange white wire is too small to trigger the SCR.

The next pulse is the orange wire. This triggers the SCR.

As the engine speed increases the amplitude of the orange / white wire increases and it begins to trigger the SCR before the orange wire pulse.

As the engine speed increases even more the triangle waveform of the orange white wire gets bigger and it triggers the SCR even sooner. This causes the spark to advance more and more until it is limited by the negative pulse from the orange red wire.

I take it we have extra pin for the static pulse trigger hence ours 9 pin over cx 8 pin?j

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and also on your ignitech, do you still use both pickups, or is it just one and the timing advance via transisters in the new box?
presume you use existing pickups too?
ta
j

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Basic diagram[attachment=9:2npr0ybe]201_4119.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe] The AGC rotor is the Blue and White wires. Im not sure which goes to D1.
[attachment=8:2npr0ybe]201_4120.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe]
[attachment=7:2npr0ybe]201_4122.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe]
[attachment=6:2npr0ybe]201_4123.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe]
[attachment=5:2npr0ybe]201_4124.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe]
[attachment=4:2npr0ybe]201_4125.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe]
[attachment=3:2npr0ybe]201_4126.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe][attachment=2:2npr0ybe]201_4127.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe][attachment=1:2npr0ybe]201_4128.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe][attachment=0:2npr0ybe]201_4130.JPG[/attachment:2npr0ybe]
Pink is the spark advance pulsar
D2 appears to be the Light Blue
D3 is the White
D4 appears to be the Brown
The White wire is connected to both coils on the stator, one coil has Blue connected and the other coil is grounded/Green
I can take pictures of the stator and post if that will help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
It just uses the stock large pickup. Nothing else. Battery powered so no need for any other stator connections
The large connector is the pickup and ground connections
Red is the switched battery power
2 wire connector is the coil and single bullet connector is the kill switch

Since this system leaves useless parts on the stator I contacted Rick's ablout making a different stator for charging only. For @$140 the will make one that raises the charging from 170w to 250-300w. They're not sure on the ouput yet since they haven't done one before. Haven't decided on that.
Currently I'm running the stock CDI until the engine is broken in completely. I had the ignitech on but it didn't seem to be making much diference so upon checking other things found compression down to 135 and decided to rebuild the engine with some mods. I need to map the stock advance still to get a better idea of the stock curve. At least now I'll have full advance at a specific rpm instead of somewhere between 4500 and 5350 as well as a known amount of advance instead of 43* +/-2 :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jim, you are a hero! - I have enough to give it a go, many many thanks.

with regards single pickup ignitech - I was thinking, don't modern cdi boxes develop the advance in the box so no mechanical means is needed - so a later model cdi with just one pulse pickup (of which there are many!) would be like your ignitech but not programmable?
all I have to do is find one with a suitable advance map on it and wire to the fixed pickup - that would mean a six or seven pin unit?
j

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
If the map is in the control unit then you'd just need power for the unit, kill switch, ground and pickup connections. Just like the ignitech does. Then you're just left with the 3 yellow charging wires out of the stator.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok,
is this sound right
Pink is the spark advance pulsar - ok got that
D2 appears to be the Light Blue - fixed pulse positive trigger
D3 is the White - - not sure is this the "safe non trigger control?
D4 appears to be the Brown - fixed pulse negative trigger
green is ground
blue is ac from ignition coil to secondary coil

The White wire is connected to both coils on the stator - safety trigger on both coils?
one coil has Blue connected and the other coil is grounded/Green

thanks once again
j

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
I think that's right but I don't know for sure.
D2 and 4 are best guesses based on the picture and wire position on the unit. I'd have to cut open a good pickup to confirm.
The White is a bit confusing since the diagram doesn't show it connecting to both coils.
Wish I knew more but there's such limited info out there and haven't found a Honda tech that even knows this sytem exists, friggin kids :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everybody. Cn someone give me idea of what white and blue wires work for? For powering up my CDI?
If i do not have resistants (have to be about 85ohms) on this two cables, can i power it up from the onboard battery?
Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Yes, those are the power supply for the CDI. I don't know for certain but I've read that it's AC, alternating current, and well in excess of 12 volts. There's not voltage rugulation on the circuit. Very doubtful that a battery will work for power.
You have a couple of options on replacement. David Silver Spares in the UK has NEW stator units https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_31100413025/
You can replace the CDI with a battery powered unit that's programmable from Ignitech in Czechoslovakia. SPARKER DC-CDI-P2 - IgniTech P?elou? This option only uses the primary pickup for operation, nothing from the stator is used

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where can I found the CB400T's scheme of the electric system to fabricate it? Thank you for your cooperation.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900M mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
Where can I found the CB400T's scheme of the electric system to fabricate it? Thank you for your cooperation.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900M mediante Tapatalk
PM sent

1 - 18 of 18 Posts