Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm a newbie to the forum but I've had my CD200 Benly for about a year. I bought it as a freshly restored bike, not concours by any means but attractive and usable.

Last week I was coming home, turned right into my road and the engine died. No coughs, splutters or pops. Blip the throttle to change down a couple of gears, turn, squeeze on a touch of throttle and nothing! Fortunately I was 100 yards from home, and it was gently downhill so I rolled the last bit. Yesterday I finally got round to investigating, starting on the fuel side. No apparent problems there: the float chamber is full, there's no dirt in it, I blew through the jets and the choke works (not that that would have cut-out a warm engine).

So move on to the sparkly bit. First charge the battery because I know that's a bit flaky, though it's never been a real problem and I always kick-start it anyway. Take out one plug, close the garage door, kick it over: no spark. Double check to make sure the plug is earthing well and spin it on the starter. Still no spark. Plug gaps look a bit big so reduce them to 25 thou with my calibrated thumbnail. Still no spark. Points? Condenser? Take off the the cover and it's electronic! This is where I grind to a halt. How do I fault-find that? No idea. Try Google. No specific help found, but I did discover HondaTwins.net so there's a success.

So now I must throw myself on the mercy of the wise men (persons) of this forum and hope someone can guide me. Be gentle please.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
First things first...Is there a kill switch? you may of bumped it....don;t ask me how I know about those things...lol
Is there a fuse(s)? Check them.

Connections, Start at battery....make sure it is tight.

Follow ignition power to ignition switch, check power out to coils and then to electronic module. Without even knowing the brand, the modules almost all work on 12V to the coil, then the module grounds the coil when the time is right for a spark.

If you have power to the coils, if the electronic module has power, and the cam is turning the magnetic sensors, then you should have a spark or the module may be bad.

One thing, is this 2 plugs, one coil bike, or a 2 coil bike? The cam sensor will either have one pickup or 2...pics help...

Also, unlikely, but the spark plug wires may have an issue, the spark plug cap (Plastic piece connecting the wire to the plug) or the coil itself may be bad.

Are both plugs without spark (and they should be both grounded to engine for spark)?

Hope this helps....

A sudden death like this is often a wire falling off, or fuse, or battery wire coming off....or a bad connection.....Tell us what you do then, take some pics, someone here definitely knows more than me about your Bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard

Thanks for all that. The first time I checked the spark I didn't know about needing both plugs to be earthed. I re-checked though and it didn't make any difference. Then I remembered from some distant corner of my brain that Honda plugs spark every 360 degrees, which becomes obvious when you look at the coil arrangement. All this could mean, of course, that a fault in one plug or plug lead would stop the spark to both plugs. Or the problem is on the low tension side and I need to do some more prodding around with the voltmeter.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I am not all that familiar with your specific model, but general trouble shooting procedures are universal....And on these old bikes, electrical connections are always suspect...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would also head inside the headlight bucket and look for loose wires.
The black with white stripe is the +12v That is switched from ignition, I've had that come loose causing spark loss.
You have a wiring diagram?
Below is the CB200 and CB175 from the Haynes manual, can send you a higher res copy if you pm me your email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
This engine is the 200 cc predecessor to the 250 "Rebel" engine (Was also used in the CM 200 "Twinstar" with Electronic ignition)....
The Black/white wire is a grounding-type "kill", rather than the power providing type (Battery positive connection) shown in those diagrams......
While the ground is designed to be instituted by either the "kill" or the key (ignition) switches, ANY grounding of that wire will render the ignition system "off"...
Disconnect the Black/White wire as close to the CDI "brain" box as you can unplug it, and see if you then get spark,
(remembering that BOTH plugs must be grounded to a common connection/ground simultaneously...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi TrapezeArtist
Did you ever fix your no spark issue? My CD200 died on the way home a few nights ago in exactly the same manner as yours, no cough, no splutter, it just stopped.

Upon inspection, there is no spark. There is power at the coil and power at the contact breaker. I'm a little lost as to what the issue might be so I wanted to know if it turned out yours was a wiring problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts