Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks the 2 elbows at the underside of my tank are totally blocked any suggestions as to how to clear them ppl
as the tanks in pretty good condition,ive attached some tubing which ive filled with petrol in the hope of clearing it but im not sure whats the best way .. many thanks Dave

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
An old broken speedo or tach cable makes a wonderful bendable drill bit........

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Dave,
I recently had a tank refurbished and lined by a company in Hartlepool. Sometime during the job they must have blocked those tubes so instead of clearing them it must have been easier to cut them below the elbow and attach two new flexible tubes. Perhaps you could do this? I attach a photo so you can see what I mean. Kim

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave,
I recently had a tank refurbished and lined by a company in Hartlepool. Sometime during the job they must have blocked those tubes so instead of clearing them it must have been easier to cut them below the elbow and attach two new flexible tubes. Perhaps you could do this? I attach a photo so you can see what I mean. Kim
Now there's a damn good idea but was wondering why they fitted two end because as on my bike it simply links both sides of the tank ! pipe simply ran from one side and through frame above the carb and up to elbow below tank on the other side . credit to them if they fitted the parts as they might not have known this eh . Many thanks kim .. Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
You would have thought it was fairly obvious but maybe not. One flexible pipe should be fine I would have thought Dave....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You would have thought it was fairly obvious but maybe not. One flexible pipe should be fine I would have thought Dave....
Please don't take this wrong Kim but are you male/female as the name throws me out ? my question regardless is do you know what size/diameter tubing i need to fit the elbows ? regards Dave .

me and my sister chris who gave me the cd175

·
Registered
51 Posts
No bother, happens all the time, I am a male Kim. The tube is 1/4" (quarter inch). On my tank anyway (CL360), presume they are the same. Kim

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still got issues with balance tubes still blocked other than cutting them down any idea's how to clear them maybe some sort of chemicle ??

·
Registered
353 Posts
Try pushing a wire through or compressed air. Could be it was lined with a liner kit.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would try acetone and a length of steel control cable in a hand drill. Invert the tank and fill the blocked tube with acetone from an eyedropper then insert the cable/ drill and turn slowly with gentle pressure. After a minute or three draw out the wire and flush the tube into a clear container to look for debris, if debris is found continue the process as you're making headway.

I don't believe you can accomplish this passively, it's going to be a laborious and slow process.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Acetone ! have barrels of that at work ,will give it a go cheer's Alan, managed to clear one side but other is being stubborn n that took a few days , was thinking maybe a bicycle brake cable on my drill !!
Cheer's Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tank pipes are now cleared ,the bike brake cable idea worked a charm took a few hours but was worth the effort cheers. Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice thread here - late to the party but my bit to add - old guitar strings if you got em. (Wound G worked for me!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts