Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Thought I would finally get round to doing a project thread of my build. I decided to build a cd175 after going to a custom bike show and falling in love with the cafe racer style and my dad seeing a couple of cd175's and reminiscing about how light and fun they were to ride compared to modern heavy bikes.
After the show I went home and had a look on eBay and as luck would have it there was a cd175 ending in the next few days less than 5 miles from my house a few bids later and it was mine.

This is how I bought the bike

IMG_1431.jpg

It was running and fully road legal although vey rough and rusty around the edges.

I began the strip down

IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg

I will update this thread as soon as I get chance but the bike is now a fully ridable great fun bike.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Congratulations. Hope you can make the parts you didn't use available for folks doing restorations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All unused parts have long been sold but hopefully they helped some one out.

Bought a fibreglass seat unit and started modifying it to fit onto the original seat base

IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1495.jpg

Had the frame media blasted then welded up some holes that were no longer needed and cut off all the brackets that would no longer be used.
Sent the fee back to be powder coated and polished the engine cases whilst I was waiting.

IMG_1747.jpg

Got it back into a rolling chassis

IMG_1760.jpg

Put the tank and seat on

IMG_1815.jpg

Decided I wasn't going to use the side panels on the tank but instead pull out the indented metal work grind off the brackets and re finish the tanking a smooth style

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

Then finally painted the body work and fully assembled the bike

IMG_2200.jpg
IMG_2205.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg
IMG_2341.jpg

Decided the wheels were a little bit too small and the front brake was terrible so I upgraded to 17" cb175 wheels and twin leading front brake

IMG_7876.jpg
IMG_7878.jpg
IMG_6649.jpg

So thats how far I have got so far the bike is great fun to ride really puts a smile on my face every time I take it out.
I have now bought a cb175 engine and am currently undergoing a complete re build with some modifications to hopefully squeeze out a little more power

I will get an engine rebuild post up when it all returns from the machine shop.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
What size K82 (TT100 pattern ) is that on the front ?

Back in the day, I fitted 3.60/18 TT100s front and back on my CB175, copying the Commandos and Tridents with their 4.10/18 TT100s front and back. Those bikes apparently handled well, but my CB didn't. It steered like a wheel barrow, and I soon reverted back to the correct size front tyre, kept the 3.60 on the back rim. I could then ground the foot pegs at will, also fell off a lot. Can't do either of that these days.

Fork brace would help matters as well.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Nice build, the tank came out looking smooth
If you want more power out of it...

Putting in a cb175 mill in won't help if you use those pods and shorty exhaust. They just choke the air intake and exhaust pulse escaping.
Put some skinny tires on it, and add a fork brace it will handle better and be even more fun to ride

1 - 8 of 8 Posts