Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions for where a guy could track down a 6 volt solenoid that would work for my '67 CD175 for a reasonable price? There's one in Thailand for $120 usd plus shipping. Seems crazy to pay that much.

Any reason that I couldn't use one from a 6 volt tractor if I could make it fit?
https://www.steinertractor.com/ABC3919-6-Volt-Solenoid is $12.99 in Michigan.

I've spent the past 2 days scouring every website I could think of with no luck.

Cheers

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
You CAN make the "tractor" one work, BUT it has to be "floating" and/or rubber mounted so it isn't grounded OR you can use an automotive relay to provide the Battery positive connection...... Phone or e-mail me for the modified wiring to effect that........

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm totally awed and grateful for the thought and effort you have put into this...thank you so much. It will be a little while before I get around to this as I will need to get the solenoid shipped to Canada and then find some time to wire this up. I will keep you posted.

I'm not really skilled when it comes to electrical theory beyond the very basics. So when I ask you what the purpose of the relay is, it's not because I doubt you but so that I can hopefully learn and understand a little something new. So...what's the function of the relay in all of this? Why do we need the extra hassle? What's different about the new solenoid vs the existing? For reference here is a pic of the old. It isn't rubber mounted either
IMG_9270.jpg

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
The original solenoid operated when the starter button connected the Yellow/red wire end of the solenoid coil to a ground when it was depressed.....The fact that its case was hard mounted was/is irrelevant as the internal electro-magnetic coil was electrically separate from the case...The "other" end (Black wire) of the original solenoid coil was already connected to battery positive when you turned on the key switch.....
The replacement automotive solenoid however uses its mount as a constant ground connection for the electro-magnetic coil, so we have to install and wire-in the relay so when the start button grounds, it remotely makes the battery positive connection to the "other" end of the magnetic coil (Honda Black wire to new and now normally open solenoid positive connection, shown as Purple wire in my diagrams) without shorting battery positive directly to ground, or keeping the solenoid activated whenever the key is on.....

Simple (mental) visual: Instead of activating the solenoid coil, the starter button now activates the relay coil whose internal switching then sends B+ to the already grounded replacement solenoid coil, activating it to send power to the starter motor......

Is that a sufficient explanation, or do I need to post the actual circuit diagrams?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found something that would work. In this application, since it is rubber mounted I would assume that it negates the need for the relay and can just be wired in as usual and then I just need to create some sort of adapter to mount the unit to the bike?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I think I found something that would work. In this application, since it is rubber mounted I would assume that it negates the need for the relay and can just be wired in as usual and then I just need to create some sort of adapter to mount the unit to the bike?

Should fit and mount in the original brackets.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts