Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a modern replacement for the Selenium rectifier. I am looking at keeping the 6 volt system, but want better voltage control to protect the battery from overcharging.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A couple of years ago I fitted my CD175 with a cheap rectifier/regulator from China. Only cost 2 or 3 UK pounds. It has worked perfectly. However it was 12v. A 6v one may not be so easy to find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rod. I have seen 6 volt rectifier/regulator on ebay, but was unsure if they are worth the money.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Check with the folks from Sparck Moto. I seem to have read on their website about having some 6 volt items. Quick ship and reasonable too in their shipping costs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just search online for "Bridge Rectifier" and you'll find things like VS-GBPC3512A VISHAY, Bridge Rectifier Diode, Single Phase, 1.2 kV which any electronics shop should have in stock for about $10 or less. There are many articles online about replacing the old selenium types with their modern counterparts...

As far as regulation, the 6 volt systems generally just limited the output of the electrical system to very low load requirements and had no need for sophisticated regulators, so your 6 volt battery and a low output type charging system is the self regulating from Honda (and others). Hope this helps a bit...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it does help. Thanks again. I just thought some type of voltage regulation would help the battery out at higher revs by keeping the voltage constant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts