Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.

Upon reassembly of my engine, I feel as though my timing advancer springs may be worn excessively. Reason, when holding the end of the cam (at points plate), I can move the cam a couple degrees (2-3) without any spring return little effort applied). IS THIS TYPICAL? There is spring return, but only after the “play area”.

I can obtain the correct springs 14329-268-320...If I do this, can I replace (carefully) without removing sprocket from the head?

Reading online, it sounds like this is a very weak point. Is it better to go with an electronic advance altogether?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Should be easy enough to find out, the top cover will come off with the engine in the frame.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If the EIs made for the 305 are anything like the ones made for the other twins (and considering you have an even older charging system as well), I think you should do whatever you can to keep your points.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I would change the whole spring assembly, the holes where the springs mount could be worn or loose in the shaft area..

Last one I worked work the holes were worn and the new springs were as loose as the old ones.

Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is out of the bike at present. I’m thinking the slop may be due to the rubber like stops have perished and not springs. I’ll have a look.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I wouldn't fret about it, just set the total advance with a strobe light. IMHO, a few degrees variation at idle isn't such a big deal, it runs at full advance 90% of the time anyway.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm not sure about replacing them with the sprocket in place, but it made a big difference when I replaced mine with new ones. The resting length of the old springs was significantly different from the new ones. It's not a big investment to replace the springs. There is also a modification in which the advance assembly is spot welded in an advanced position, taking the springs out of the equation. I saw a thread several years ago on the Honda 305 site. I agree with the others that it is worth inspecting the rubber stops and the holes in the pins, since those are wear points.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve taken off the valve cover to inspect. It would appear the play is coming from the riveted pin as well as the hole the spring connects to. See video in link below. Should I look to replace the sprocket and advancer? If so, how to I ensure the next used part isn’t just as bad as mine?

https://youtu.be/-I7E9bZS8p4

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You could support it in a vise and re-stake the back side of the rivet with a center punch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I was able to replace my worn out unit with one from a fellow 305 enthusiast. The replacement appears to have never been used. No wear marks and it snaps closed perfectly!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts