Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m working on a CB77 engine and am at reassembly stage. I’m finding what appears to be slop in the transmission. See image below. I’m getting .036 of play.

Should I look to add a shim to take this out? Note the gears are not aligning well due to the end play.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
First off, I know nothing about that model.....From that pic I noticed that the bearings are not aligned with the grooves for the retaining clips.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
First off, I know nothing about that model.....From that pic I noticed that the bearings are not aligned with the grooves for the retaining clips.
WOW, you have a good eye. I have never had any problem with a Japanese motorcycle transmission needing shimmed, as long as I had all the parts in the correct places. Once the retaining clips are in it should be fine.
TOOLS

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. I can assure you, the bearing is squarely seated in the seat (retaining clip sitting in the slot). I believe had I have taken the picture directly overhead it would show this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, Yes. Item 14 on your diagram was replaced with new. (although the old one looked good)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Shaft end play should not exceed .020 The second gear dogs dont match up real well and you might install a offset keeper on the 2nd gear so the dogs move in farther. They come in .020 and .040. I used the .020 on mine and it made a vast improvement.

Bill

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Shaft end play should not exceed .020 The second gear dogs dont match up real well and you might install a offset keeper on the 2nd gear so the dogs move in farther. They come in .020 and .040. I used the .020 on mine and it made a vast improvement.

Bill

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Its been about 4 years since I work on a 77 . The best source for info was Bill Slivers and the Honda 305 site. I also liked Tim McDowell "Classic Honda Restoration " 410-799-3588.

[email protected]. I have never met him but have spent time on the phone with him , he seams like a great guy and spent a lot of his time helping me.

Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bill for your help! I was able to order metric spring steel shims from McMaster Carr. They come .3mm thick so I should be able to get the tolerance needed.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
To offset the 2nd gear for better dog fit you will need an .020 offset cotter gear. Stock is 23941-250 -010.

You may have to go to the Honda 305 site and ask for help to find a set. Most dealers only carry the stock set.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts