Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
CB77, 1966
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Honda305 forum but it seems to have been abandoned, finally, so I'm hoping to find some help here.

I had a helicoil installed in the fender mount in the left fork bottom case of my CB77. When I got it back I found that the 'mechanic' had driven something too far into the hole and pushed the side of the case inward, preventing the inner part of the suspension from going past the resulting bulge. I'm looking to replace the case but have run into some difficulty.

My frame number is CB77-1042697 which, according to the parts manual requires part 51565-268-030S. However, when I looked for this part on Ebay, here for example, I saw that there is an internal tube in the case that my part does not have. Instead, there is something much shorter inside.

I know that this bike was crashed before I acquired it in 1969 and I suspect that the front end was replaced with parts intended for the later, and last, version of the CB77. If so it would require part 51565-268-040S. Unfortunately I cannot find a photograph of the inside of this part anywhere so I don't know whether I need the -040 part (most likely) or something else although I don't know what it might be.

I have had no replies on the Honda305 forum so no help there and CMS seems to have a problem with looking inside the appropriate part in their stockroom.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
There is a cone-shaped piece bolted in the bottom end of the fork leg, it's there to serve as a hydraulic bump stop to keep the fork from bottoming out. It's considered part of the fork leg and isn't listed as a separate part, since there's no reason to remove it for repair or maintenance. How big is the bump in the fork leg wall? It may be possible to smooth it out with a reamer and/or a small diameter hone. You could take it to a machine shop to see what they think.

·
Registered
CB77, 1966
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a cone-shaped piece bolted in the bottom end of the fork leg, it's there to serve as a hydraulic bump stop to keep the fork from bottoming out. It's considered part of the fork leg and isn't listed as a separate part, since there's no reason to remove it for repair or maintenance. How big is the bump in the fork leg wall? It may be possible to smooth it out with a reamer and/or a small diameter hone. You could take it to a machine shop to see what they think.
Thanks for your reply.

The bump is about 1mm high. I didn't mention it but the wall is cracked as shown by seepage of solvent from the threaded hole to the inside. Besides, the price that CMS wants for a used part in good condition is, unusually, not all that high. So, all I really want to know is what you would see looking inside the -040 fork leg. Does it have the full length tube shown in the link or not?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts