Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm building a race bike using a '68 CL175. I know a lot of racers use the 200mm CB77 front brake and I happen to have an entire wheel/brake. Wondering if anyone here has done this and can advise on spacers, machining etc...

Thanks!!
Mike

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Patric and Zeke put a 450 hub on thier 175, pretty sure they didnt do much to the brake face plate and just cut a spacer to suit
The 175s have enough space to fit a 350 hub without modification
If you want to use the original fork set up with the stepped stanchion and want a wider spaceing the Cd175 triple tree are about 8mm wider than the cb or cl

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Here's a seal holder I made for mine to keep dirt out. It may not really be necessary for a race bike. It's made from some junk cast aluminum now. I'm going to remake it out of some 7000 series aluminum because it technically retains the bearing iirc. The whole hub could shift to the left if you know what I mean. It replaces The steel speedo drive thing.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-project-logs/42870-cb450-race-track-bike-16.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lefty that looks pretty good and along the lines of what I've been thinking needs to happen. What oil seal is that?

I suppose first order of business is to dig that wheel out of the shed and see if it even fits between the forks. I'm sure I read somewhere that the brake face plate needs to be machined to fit. I've also got about 1000 CB350 wheels/brakes around as well as an option but I think the larger Cb77 brake is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hey- the seal is from a cb450 clutch lifter iirc. I had it lying around and it seemed to fit. I'm not sure if the hub could move left without the retainer or not right now, foggy brain. Seems the brake plate would stop it now that I think about it. I recall reading a cb160 race build instructional(fowler formula?) online, that said the 160 brake will tie the frame in knots if used hard(which wasn't even necessary considering the modest speeds). Those are about the same size as the cb350. Up to you but I'd look into it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the CB77 wheel lines up with my CL175 pretty well. I made a new spacer and everything is centered and seems to work well. I could make something to replace the speedo drive plate/retainer or just leave it, or remove it. The bearing cannot drift out either way. And check out this Dunlop “Grand Speed” - yikes

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts