Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1975 CB550 four to go along with my 69 CB350 and 69 450, I think my wife is putting the stop to me buying these bikes at three, I digress.

The bike runs good when throttle is engaged, but quickly dies out and won't really idle....fuel delivery issues?? I have to check the fuel lines and see if any are split and leaking.
The bike has been sitting for quite awhile, but fortunately had rec fuel in it.....

I also want to put new spark plugs in so need an NGK or Champion number if anyone has one, also doing an oil change and need to know how many quarts and what you all recommend for type of oil.

It came with one 1436 number key, is there anywhere to get keys?

I'm hoping I don't need to pull the carbs and do a full clean on them all, aligning four carbs is not what I want to do..the bike over all is very clean original paint, always stored indoors with very few cosmetic issues....I'm excited to get it running correctly and get to riding it. This is my first four cylinder bike so any help is appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a good mechanic in the general West or Soutwest Michigan area in case I run into something I can't handle.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You know of CMSNL ?

How long has it been "asleep" ?

Hope you checked all valves open and close properly.

Get to know your bikes engine insides by looking at the CMSNL exploded views...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know of CMSNL ?

You know of CMSNL ?

I have not heard of CMSNL, please explain

The owners have no idea how long its been since it last ran, so that I cannot answer accurately.

Nope, didn't check the valves, didn't think of that, it does run and thought that was good enough start.

·
Registered
74 CL360, 81 CM200T, 85, 86 & 87 CMX250. Invisible to cages, treat accordingly. Avoids Road Rage!
113 Posts
Put .com after the cmsnl & you'll see. 😁 ;)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
NGK D7ES plugs, stay away from Champion plugs if you want it to run decently. Adjust the valves, clean the points and check the timing before you touch the carbs. If it's running and ridable, I would try running some Seafoam or injector cleaner through it and running it a few miles before tearing into the carbs.

Reactions: Montanabill

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a locksmith on ebay that can make you new keys if you have your number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does it run better or worse with the choke on at idle? If it has set for over six months you need to clean the jets at a minimum. If everything isn't green and stuck just pull the two cables off the carbs and sli9de the carbs out the side then take the float bowls off and clean the two jets in each carb....one will be tiny tiny.
If you had split fuel lines your shoes should have been getting wet with gas.
Great bikes and going up in value in some markets. If gas rationing starts like is rumored your bike will jump 50% in value, saw it happen in the 70's. You better be prepared to spend some money if you want someone that knows anything to work on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a locksmith on ebay that can make you new keys if you have your number.
Do you know the ebay ID / name of this person? I only have one key, so a spare would be nice

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it run better or worse with the choke on at idle? If it has set for over six months you need to clean the jets at a minimum. If everything isn't green and stuck just pull the two cables off the carbs and sli9de the carbs out the side then take the float bowls off and clean the two jets in each carb....one will be tiny tiny.
If you had split fuel lines your shoes should have been getting wet with gas.
Great bikes and going up in value in some markets. If gas rationing starts like is rumored your bike will jump 50% in value, saw it happen in the 70's. You better be prepared to spend some money if you want someone that knows anything to work on it.
I picked up the bike for $1500.00 and it's in really nice shape on the outside, other than one of the side covers cracked....I just starting pulling the vetter fairing off the front and checking the fuel lines and floats on the carbs for leaks. Also changing the plugs and doing an oil change, I'm enlisting a buddy of mine that is more of an engine guy and he's gonna do a valve adjustment and help with checking timing, etc. Gonna do everything else possible before I dig into the carbs....it needs a new front brake system as well....one thing at a time and will see if we can get her back to idle without having the throttle engaged. I don't mind at all putting some money into it, the bike as it sits is a great price so another $1000-1500 could go a long way if it's needed, it won't idle at all so you are correct it could be jetting issue as well....we're gonna check the points too and if that causes issue I may switch this bike over to an electronic ignition. Little ways to go before she is road ready, but we will get it there. I remember gas rationing in the 70's also....I was young, but it did happen....hopefully rationing doesn't happen and people just use common sense and only go where they need to go for the time being.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NGK D7ES plugs, stay away from Champion plugs if you want it to run decently. Adjust the valves, clean the points and check the timing before you touch the carbs. If it's running and ridable, I would try running some Seafoam or injector cleaner through it and running it a few miles before tearing into the carbs.
D7ES does not seem to be a good number anymore? It's be cross referenced with a D7EA by my local parts store...I bought four of them, but a little hesitant to put them in...same size as the D7ES I removed....thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess this answers my question:

There are some sellers on ebay that have the D7ES though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts