Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1975 CB550 four to go along with my 69 CB350 and 69 450, I think my wife is putting the stop to me buying these bikes at three, I digress.

The bike runs good when throttle is engaged, but quickly dies out and won't really idle....fuel delivery issues?? I have to check the fuel lines and see if any are split and leaking.
The bike has been sitting for quite awhile, but fortunately had rec fuel in it.....

I also want to put new spark plugs in so need an NGK or Champion number if anyone has one, also doing an oil change and need to know how many quarts and what you all recommend for type of oil.

It came with one 1436 number key, is there anywhere to get keys?

I'm hoping I don't need to pull the carbs and do a full clean on them all, aligning four carbs is not what I want to do..the bike over all is very clean original paint, always stored indoors with very few cosmetic issues....I'm excited to get it running correctly and get to riding it. This is my first four cylinder bike so any help is appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a good mechanic in the general West or Soutwest Michigan area in case I run into something I can't handle.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You know of CMSNL ?

How long has it been "asleep" ?

Hope you checked all valves open and close properly.

Get to know your bikes engine insides by looking at the CMSNL exploded views...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know of CMSNL ?

You know of CMSNL ?

I have not heard of CMSNL, please explain

The owners have no idea how long its been since it last ran, so that I cannot answer accurately.

Nope, didn't check the valves, didn't think of that, it does run and thought that was good enough start.

·
Registered
74 CL360, 81 CM200T, 85, 86 & 87 CMX250. Invisible to cages, treat accordingly. Avoids Road Rage!
89 Posts
Put .com after the cmsnl & you'll see. 😁 ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
NGK D7ES plugs, stay away from Champion plugs if you want it to run decently. Adjust the valves, clean the points and check the timing before you touch the carbs. If it's running and ridable, I would try running some Seafoam or injector cleaner through it and running it a few miles before tearing into the carbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts