Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 75' CB500T engine, I have the top end torn down, but I am wondering, is it suggested to replace the cam chain since i am at this stage? the mileage on the bike is unknown, and should i be going farther, opening the bottom end?

Was going to replace gaskets, and seals, and thinking about all the oil seals as well. Anything else you might suggest would be appreciated

See mixed reviews on aftermarket gaskets, some people say buy honda head gaskets, other people are running NE brand with no problems

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If the mileage is unknown, there are a lot of things I'd inspect and potentially consider replacing. Along with the more obvious top end stuff, I'd replace all the seals certainly, and since you're there I'd get a new DID 219T cam chain, and if you can still get OEM gaskets, then yes. If not, I've had good luck with both NE and Vesrah (but if you need rear brake shoes buy EBC, don't buy Vesrah - I have a pair of those I'm not using that you could have, but they suck)

·
Registered
506 Posts
also, a lot of people are scared of opening the bottom end of these bikes, but actually they are really simple, the top end is the "complex" part. At the very least it is worth opening the bottom end and cleaning things and replacing oil seals, all it'll cost you is a base gasket and a tube of hondabond and an oil seal kit. The bottom end in these bikes is generally pretty bullet proof but cleaning makes a massive difference to the engine life. at the very least you should take the clutch cover off and clean the oil pump, oil slinger and the cases around the oil pump pickup.

you will need a special socket to take the oil slinger nut off the crank and a special bolt to pull the generator rotor off the other side of the crank. Other than that just some circlip pliers and a bunch of standard tools and you can get in there and clean it all up and inspect things.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Do not use forma a gasket or any liquid gaskets, pieces can come off and clog small oil passages.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, i figured i would of got email notifications but did not, so i am late responding... Anyhow...

Everything beyond the engine I had already done... new steering bearings, new wheel bearings, tires, honda brake shoes, haven't done the front caliper, wondered about upgrades? powder coated everything, new coils

Last couple days I dug into the engine, first time working on these... I'd have to say you were right Liam, nervous at first, the bottom end went pretty smoothly, I'll probably have some questions about re installing the shift stops and springs later on... but i tried to take pictures and leave everything in order

There was a small seal floating around in the piston pin?

and a ton of sludge on the bottom... so i am glad I opened it up,

Now i was going to blast it and powder coat it , but there's that plate on the bottom case, sitting above the fins going up into the bottom case, it looks to be pinned or rivted on the 4 corners, but it had 2 screws in the center....

Seems problematic for even cleaning the sludge out and making sure there's not a bead left in the case... Can this come off at all? I'll try to add the picture Machine tool Auto part Machine Engine Metalworking

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a 13/16 spark plug socket for the oil filter... I don't have time to wait over a week and pay $40 CAD + shipping for one... I didnt pretty it up, it's crude and it performed, only broke the shifter rod snap ring, and stripped a screw on that bracket holding the stator wire on the side... to be fair previous owner stripped it... i just really stripped it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The DID Cam chains on Ebay, Have 2 options, $70 endless chain, $90 with a master link, both roughly sold the same amount, why would the endless option be chosen?

I can get one from honda, but its back ordered a month for only $54 .... wow Hondas cheaper? But a month wait..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks 76Twin, I actually found that link provided by someone (cant remember) on a thread on here, and ordered it right away, by far the cheapest DID Chain, Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts