Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New here, I have used a similar Subaru forum to keep my old soobs on the road, hoping for the same help here.

I just picked up a 75 CB500T from a friend for cheap, start switch is broken in the handlebars, I tried jumping the two lugs on the solenoid, and nothing happens, well sparks happens. When i use a screwdirver to trigger the handelbar push button, the solnoid just clicks. I tried jumping the leads on the solenoid with just the battery and with a battery charger attached, starter does not crank, just sparks.

Any ideas of what may be going on? if someone has already had this issue, I will gladely read a previous thread if linked.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's worth noting that my friend said it would start and run, he is a good friend and would not have lied about that. It has also been sitting for about two years, I cleaned the carbs and replaced the burnt out clutch, filled with fresh oil.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine turns over, seems to have good compression, was able to get it to sputter once, but no luck getting it to start, almost passed out about 5 times trying, haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Key turned to on position, red engine button set to run, choke on, gas on, clutch lever bunjy corded so it's always pulled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another important piece of information, the Battery was completely flat when I got the bike, it's probably been dead for 2 years, it was putting out 12 volts when I pulled it off the charger, but may not be putting out hte amperage to turn over the starter, which is why I hooked up the battery charger. My hypothesis is that the Battery is junk, therfore, my follow up question would be.. If the battery is junk would the battery charger being hooked up while I start still not put out the correct amount of amperage for the starter to turn? It's either that or the starter is junk, but the starter worked fine when it was parked.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You need a full 13V for the bike to run properly. Change the battery and then try.Maybe try this to establish the battery theory. Jump from a known good car battery NB don't turn the engine of the car on.
Another important piece of information, the Battery was completely flat when I got the bike, it's probably been dead for 2 years, it was putting out 12 volts when I pulled it off the charger, but may not be putting out hte amperage to turn over the starter, which is why I hooked up the battery charger. My hypothesis is that the Battery is junk, therfore, my follow up question would be.. If the battery is junk would the battery charger being hooked up while I start still not put out the correct amount of amperage for the starter to turn? It's either that or the starter is junk, but the starter worked fine when it was parked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You, I was always under the impression that you could not use a car battery to jump a motorcycle, after some light research I followed your suggestion. The good news is the starter engaged and turned over the engine. I quickly re-assembled the throttle assembly on the handelbar so I could give it some gas to start. My push button switch is broken so I am relying on a screwdriver to start the bike, after reasemmbling the housing, and inserting the screwdriver to try and start the entire bike went dead. No tail lights, no neutral light, its as if there is no volatge travelign through the bike, although I know there is, I touched the positive from my car battery to the starter leg and the starter turned over but when placed on the positive side of the battery nothign happens, no lights, just silent. I will need to find a wireing diagram and see what I may have fried.

Any thoughts off the top of your head?

Thanks for the battery suggestion, it's nice to know my starter works!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just found a wiring diagram and realized the black box is a fuse box, I love figuring out how "new to me" things work... usually by breaking them. hahaha, I will report what I find.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blown Fuse, bike turning over a lot but not much action, it fired up for about 10 seconds and ran on its own with the throttle on about 1/10, cut out as soon as I moved the throttle, haven't been able to start since, need to tear into a few things and figure out why such a crappy response when trying to start. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I would suggest taking the carbs apart and clean them thoroughly. This is especially crucial if they sat with fuel i them for 2 years.
Replace gaskets and seals on the carbs but retain the stock hard parts (jets and fittings)

Genuine Honda - Carburetor Gasket Set - 16010-346-305 - CB450K CL450K - this is a good set to use as the gaskets are ethanol resistant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest taking the carbs apart and clean them thoroughly. This is especially crucial if they sat with fuel i them for 2 years.
Replace gaskets and seals on the carbs but retain the stock hard parts (jets and fittings)

Genuine Honda - Carburetor Gasket Set - 16010-346-305 - CB450K CL450K - this is a good set to use as the gaskets are ethanol resistant.
Thank you, I just tried starting it again and am about to pass out, it sputters when I kick start "blop blop blop" kick "blop blop blop" kick "blop blop blop" but it only does it with choke all the way off, I can't get it to fire when choke is on. It must be the carbs not operating properly, my assumption is not enough fuel being added to air so it takes a lot of air to suck out enough fuel to actualy make combustion. It's only a theory of corse.

I did already clean the carbs, but did not replace the seals and may have messed something up in re-assembly. I will get to tearing it all apart again and see if I can't figure something out. I have to wait until next month to purchase a new batery and get my tires mounted anyways, I have time to tinker.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
The fact that it actually fired means that things are not too bad. Now would be the time to give the engine a good service before trying again. That way you will be aware of any issues you find during the service and sorted out others. Points come to mind. You cant adjust the right by moving it. set the left per the instructions. Don't forget it has a 180 crank, then set the right by adjusting the gap from the gap set point. It's odd but it does work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fact that it actually fired means that things are not too bad. Now would be the time to give the engine a good service before trying again. That way you will be aware of any issues you find during the service and sorted out others. Points come to mind. You cant adjust the right by moving it. set the left per the instructions. Don't forget it has a 180 crank, then set the right by adjusting the gap from the gap set point. It's odd but it does work.
Thank You Nigel, I tried adjusting the points today, but will need to order a whole new set, the screws are stripped, I have started a thread in the mechanical forum because I thought that may be better for dialing the bike, check it out http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/32-mechanical-issues/81938-first-start-please-listen-throw-your-2-cents-videos-thread.html

When you say "left per instructions" what instructions are you refering to? Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts