Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm working on a 1976 CB500T. I pulled the carbs apart and replaced the floats and all rubber parts like o-rings, diaphragm, etc. Put em all back together and added fuel and noticed the left carb leaks fuel (it previously did not). I removed the float-bowl, pushed the float up to where the valve should be closed and it still leaked. So I took the float off, and using my finger, closed the valve. Fuel flows through the float valve when when it is manually closed by hand. To check the seal of the valve threads, I also tried removing the valve, plugging the hole with my finger and turning the petock on. It seals fine there. So it seems the valve is not seating well anymore. What could be causing this? Could it be that I mixed up the float valve pieces on each side? Is there an O-ring component I'm missing (I don't think there is...). For what It's worth, I messed around with it a bit, re-installed, and it seemed to stop leaking so perhaps things just needed to re-seat or maybe my float level was just somehow off in a weird way? I'm not sure. Any advice would be great.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You might have some debris or particles inside keeping the float needle valve from making full contact. In would open up the carb and clean it out thoroughly.
Inspect the float valve for wear especially around the tip.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The rebuild kit rubber gaskets have a tendency to move around. Either cement them in place or make sure fit is perfect. I bet your valve is a little dirty or your bowl is not seating correctly. Are you currently working with the carbs on or off the bike?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed on mine. There's no Rubber seal for the float needle valve. Its metal-on-metal Did they originally come that way?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I noticed on mine. There's no Rubber seal for the float needle valve. Its metal-on-metal Did they originally come that way?
Yes, brass on brass.
You can buy a viton tipped replacement if so desired. I've never had an issue with brass if kept clean and smooth.

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Yes, brass on brass.
You can buy a viton tipped replacement if so desired. I've never had an issue with brass if kept clean and smooth.
^^^and the fuel turned off when the engine isn't running. NEVER trust! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts