Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gurus,

I have been doing some research on the fork threads here to see if I can find an answer to my question, but I am still ending up confused. I finally got around to taking the front fork assembly apart last night and found that one of the fork tubes is bent, so I'll need to replace it ... but that only lead me to start researching something I have been thinking about for a while anyway ... as I know a few of you have seen, I am planning to revert from a disc brake in the front to a drum brake (I know ... everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do this but I like to look of the front end with a drum vs a disc, that's the only reason)

Anyway ... long story short, there are two things I am considering ... one is that I would like to use a slightly wider front tire and the other is the physical look of the front lowers ... obviously the CB500T lowers are designed to fit a disc brake mounting setup ... I'm going to look at the front lowers on an older models (i.e. '72 or '73 era cb450 using a drum front brake) to see if the lowers look substantially different when set up for a drum brake ...

In the meantime, has anyone done this before? I know there are considerations in the triple tree and axle sizes to consider, and likely the "rake" of the front end for lack of a better term ... is my description of what I am trying to do accurate enough or just confusing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions! Bill

· Registered
6,495 Posts
The steering stem itself is a different part for 450 and 500T - not sure why exactly, maybe different fork spacing or something.
However the neck bearings are the same, so that means the 500T neck would most likely accept a 450 stem (educated guess).
If that's true, then it would be pretty simple to just plug in an entire 450 front end - stem/upper clamp/forks/brake/fender/wheel, etc.
The 500T tach/speedo probably would not easily plug into a 450 upper clamp.
The rake/trail are probably the same or close to it from 450 to 500T.
The 450's with drum brakes would be CB K0/K1/K2 (all with 18" wheels), and all CL450 (19"front wheel).
The early CB forks are nothing to brag about, though.

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
I'll be happy to clarify........

The steering stem itself is a different part for 450 and 500T - not sure why exactly, maybe different fork spacing or something. Spacing IS the same.... The difference is lack of fork lock provision as the 500T uses a function of the bridge mounted key switch to do this...
However the neck bearings are the same, so that means the 500T neck would most likely accept a 450 stem (educated guess). Yes......
If that's true, then it would be pretty simple to just plug in an entire 450 front end - stem/upper clamp/forks/brake/fender/wheel, etc. Yes. and an entire later CL front end would have everything necessary for the swap, including a 19" drum wheel, so there would NOT be an attitude or rake/trail difference.....
The 500T tach/speedo probably would not easily plug into a 450 upper clamp. 500T bridge will fit the 450 tubes and spacing, meters, key-switch and all.....So not a problem.......
The rake/trail are probably the same or close to it from 450 to 500T.....Yep!
The 450's with drum brakes would be CB K0/K1/K2 (all with 18" wheels), and all CL450 (19"front wheel).
The early CB forks are nothing to brag about, though.

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Really ALL you need is the later CL wheel assembly, later CL fender, and the later CL fork covers (including rubber gaiters ...which are the same as the early 750 Honda used)
Your existing forks (minus the dust wipers) will accept those parts.....
IIRC, the lower sliders are the same on both those models (later CL and 500T) With the exception of the cast in brackets for the caliper carry arm, some of which could be removed although that isn't necessary... Phone to discuss in greater depth if you like......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.